Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Chair >

Sewing Chair

Sewing Chair

Old 09-19-2015, 12:29 PM

I am a very short person, and found a chair at Joe's SewNVac in Oakhurst that is made in such a way that I have perfect lumbar support and I just love it. Its on casters and has made such a difference for me.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 AM

Mine is a secretary chair. It has wheels, a back but no arms. I love it. It can go up and down and I can wheel all over the
room
Old 09-20-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
So much depends on your height, the height of the table and machine, the type of flooring (ease is moving about) that it is really a personal thing. I'm short so most chairs are too high for me. I found one at Ikea that is just right for me but others might think it uncomfortable. It took a lot of sitting on chairs before I found the right one.
I am adding that the users' weight also comes into play. Most office type chairs have a weight limit of 250 pounds. And casters are either carpet friendly or hard floor surface friendly. Makes a difference.

sandy
Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM

I LOVE my bungee chair! Have had it for a couple of years and it's just like new. Be sure to spring for the one with arms.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:20 AM

I use an office chair.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:37 PM

Hon..sorta expensive, but I like.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:33 PM

Mine is an old office type desk chair. I think it was my daughter's in either high school or college.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 AM

I also use a backless stool. Mine has a curved bottom, so I can swivel and bend very easily.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 AM

I have just switched back to a nice but fairly standard office chair.

I tried the saddle stool and it felt AMAZING for my lower back, but I've had a total hip replacement and the way the saddle seat pressed against my seat bones on that side made me uncomfortable after about 15 minutes, so I couldn't keep using it.

I switched to an exercise ball for the last several months, and it was good but not perfect. I had to get a large ball to put me up high enough, but it was so big around I had a hard time sitting on top of the ball and still being able to reach things like the pedal - I would end up sitting sort of halfway rolled forward which put me too low. Plus the rubber is kind of grippy so I couldn't easily turn around to get to my design wall directly behind me, which was a big drawback for how I work. Other than that it was really comfortable.

So I'm back to an office chair. It's a better-than-average chair (and cost accordingly) - it has arms that flip up out of the way which is great, and I added a memory foam cushion to the seat so it's comfy for long sewing sessions. My room has faux wood floors so I got a low-nap commercial grade entry rug and put that under my casters and it works great - I can roll easily when I want to but there's enough resistance that I don't inadvertently roll away when I'm struggling with a big quilt, plus the floor is protected from wear.

I kept the exercise ball and put it in the living room - I sit on it to read now. It's FUN to sit on, I move and bounce around on it a lot without thinking about it, and it helps stretch my always-sore back.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I also use a backless stool. Mine has a curved bottom, so I can swivel and bend very easily.
Did you get it at IKEA? that's where I got mine