Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Chair >

Sewing Chair

Sewing Chair

Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 PM

I have an old habit I cannot seem to break...Before I know it, my shoulders are up touching my ears. Can you say Ouch? Any ideas how to break this gosh awful habit? I do not even know when I developed it, but it certainly is not good!

BellaBoo Thanks for pointing out that your Avatar is how we should be sitting. I need to raise my chair.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 AM

Bellaboo's picture is right on the money. In addition I purchased a platform from Nancy's Notions that tilts my machine forward. You can do the same thing with doorstops under the back of it. I also rest my right foot on a plastic storage box that is the same height as my footpedal so that both legs are also level. I have chronic health problems that impact all of my muscles as well as ostoarthritis in my back. Sitting and working ergonimonically allows me to sew as much as I do.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 AM

I took a quilting class with Harriet Hargrave. The whole first portion of the class was on ergonomics. She used a Hermann Miller aeron chair. I went and looked at them. $$$ The secretaries at that store all used the Swopper. I talked my way into them letting me use it over a long weekend. I bought one. Look it up on the web, probably at www.sit4less.com It is like sitting on a balance ball so that I keep good posture. It adjusts for height. A bit pricey but well worth it in comfort. Good when you have arthritis and such.
Gads, I just checked ... and the price really went up. Still I love mine.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:00 AM

My problem is I am short 5 foot so my adjustible chair has to be all the way up to fit my machines cabinet. This causes my feet to not touch the floor so need to adjust the foot pedal also. I have to stand on a 6 in stepstool to use my cutting table also. But I dont have back or neck problems when I sew. So make all the necessary adjustments to your sewing area, you wont regret it.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 AM

I'm too tall so that I end up all hunched up and am in pain after a short time at the machine.

I have a sewing cabinet and my legs don't really fit under the cabinet. And I always end up with one foot on top of the other so I can use the pedal. Then I'm hunch over to see under the sewing machine arm.

I'm so glad you did this thread. The information is going to help me immensely.

How to change a bad habit is to make a sign where you'll see if when you are in the wrong posture. It will keep you aware so that after correcting the bad behavior constantly you'll find one day that your doing it right without thinking.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 AM

tkhooper--maybe you should find a way to lift your cabinet up? Some sort of leg extensions. I think you should get yourself sitting properly and then adjust the table height to match. I'm an elbow leaner..and its a hard habit to break..even though its breaking my back :lol: :lol:
Old 02-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Have you thought about putting lifts under your sewing cabinet. My husband cut the legs down on my sewing table. It sounds like you need the opposite. At a retreat I attend every year, someone brought those cones you can use to raise a bed and put them under the table legs to create a good cutting surface for all of us to use. Not having to lean over helps everyone's back.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 AM

Good idea!!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 AM

AFTER SITTING AND SEWING FOR A WHILE, GO TO A COMFORTABLE CHAIR AND ROLL A TOWEL UP AND PUT IT BEHIND YOU ON YOUR SPINE.SIT THERE FOR A WHILE AND STRECH YOUR MUSCLES THE OTHER WAY TO RELAX. THERAPY THOUGHT ME THIS. REALLY WORKS WELL FOR ME.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM

Try the rubber door stops - or anything to raise the back of your machine a little - you'll love it! Saves a lot of neck and back fatigue.

Another advantage of an adjustable chair is that you can change your position during long sewing times.