Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Chair

How should you be positioned when sewing? Like to sit and look a little down on the project or sit about so that you can see from front to the back of the machine?
    I hope I am explaining myself right.

I sit where I am most comfortable, I have to be careful on the position my neck is in. I can't look down for long periods of time or put to much strain on my neck muscles. Since my cervical spine was fused years ago pain there is a constant battle.

I like to be a little high, so I use a secretary chair.
    Has anyone tried lifting the back of the machine with rubber door stoppers? I do when I think of it, usually after my back is hurting.

Blog Entries
    I like to look down at a bit at my work and bought myself a drafting chair to sit on. It swivels and is on wheels (sometimes I ride a little farther than expected :) ). My problem was that my legs are short, so DH built a raised platform for my feet and pedal. The chair has a bar around the bottom for perching a foot on, too.

I have a secretary chair too. How I sit depends on what I'm sewing. I do like to have my arms and neck relaxed since I have bone spurs and arthritis in them. If I'm sewing long strips I can sit back and relax. If I'm sewing small pieces or have lots of seams to go over I have to sit closer and look more down. No matter what I'm doing, I have to get up and move around regularly.

Blog Entries
    Look at my avatar pic. It's straight from OSHA.

I didn't realize that was what was in your avatar, but it shows how we should be sitting. I just invested in a new chair.

And I learned to sit in front of the needle instead of the machine being right in the middle and having to look to the left.

Blog Entries
    The most important thing is not to hunch over, lean into the machine, or jut your head forward. That will kill your back, neck and shoulders.

I have a computer chair (actually a secretary's chair) that I stole from my desk top... it doesnt have any arms but it forces my back to be straight. I also have the "short" problem so that makes my forearms as the same height of my sewing machine.

I have an old habit I cannot seem to break...Before I know it, my shoulders are up touching my ears. Can you say Ouch? Any ideas how to break this gosh awful habit? I do not even know when I developed it, but it certainly is not good!

BellaBoo Thanks for pointing out that your Avatar is how we should be sitting. I need to raise my chair.

Bellaboo's picture is right on the money. In addition I purchased a platform from Nancy's Notions that tilts my machine forward. You can do the same thing with doorstops under the back of it. I also rest my right foot on a plastic storage box that is the same height as my footpedal so that both legs are also level. I have chronic health problems that impact all of my muscles as well as ostoarthritis in my back. Sitting and working ergonimonically allows me to sew as much as I do.

I took a quilting class with Harriet Hargrave. The whole first portion of the class was on ergonomics. She used a Hermann Miller aeron chair. I went and looked at them. $$$ The secretaries at that store all used the Swopper. I talked my way into them letting me use it over a long weekend. I bought one. Look it up on the web, probably at www.sit4less.com It is like sitting on a balance ball so that I keep good posture. It adjusts for height. A bit pricey but well worth it in comfort. Good when you have arthritis and such.
    Gads, I just checked ... and the price really went up. Still I love mine.

My problem is I am short 5 foot so my adjustible chair has to be all the way up to fit my machines cabinet. This causes my feet to not touch the floor so need to adjust the foot pedal also. I have to stand on a 6 in stepstool to use my cutting table also. But I dont have back or neck problems when I sew. So make all the necessary adjustments to your sewing area, you wont regret it.

Blog Entries
    I'm too tall so that I end up all hunched up and am in pain after a short time at the machine.

I have a sewing cabinet and my legs don't really fit under the cabinet. And I always end up with one foot on top of the other so I can use the pedal. Then I'm hunch over to see under the sewing machine arm.

I'm so glad you did this thread. The information is going to help me immensely.

How to change a bad habit is to make a sign where you'll see if when you are in the wrong posture. It will keep you aware so that after correcting the bad behavior constantly you'll find one day that your doing it right without thinking.

tkhooper--maybe you should find a way to lift your cabinet up? Some sort of leg extensions. I think you should get yourself sitting properly and then adjust the table height to match. I'm an elbow leaner..and its a hard habit to break..even though its breaking my back :lol: :lol:

Have you thought about putting lifts under your sewing cabinet. My husband cut the legs down on my sewing table. It sounds like you need the opposite. At a retreat I attend every year, someone brought those cones you can use to raise a bed and put them under the table legs to create a good cutting surface for all of us to use. Not having to lean over helps everyone's back.

Good idea!!

AFTER SITTING AND SEWING FOR A WHILE, GO TO A COMFORTABLE CHAIR AND ROLL A TOWEL UP AND PUT IT BEHIND YOU ON YOUR SPINE.SIT THERE FOR A WHILE AND STRECH YOUR MUSCLES THE OTHER WAY TO RELAX. THERAPY THOUGHT ME THIS. REALLY WORKS WELL FOR ME.

Try the rubber door stops - or anything to raise the back of your machine a little - you'll love it! Saves a lot of neck and back fatigue.

Another advantage of an adjustable chair is that you can change your position during long sewing times.

I have pretty much the right position, but I do not sit really close to my machine. Most of the time my arms are pretty much extended. Works for me.

Raise the height of your sewing table, chest or desk any way you can!!! My sister bought me a set of bed risers at Walmarts to put under my sewing table so MY machine would be at the right height! It worked wonders, no more hunching over. I'm
    five feet ten inches tall and I know all about hunching over!

Blog Entries
    Northwest Arkansas here not borningm love it here

Banned
    Elenor Burns also said to put erasers under the back of your machine it give it the slight slant that you need.
    Haven't tried it yet, but I'm going that way right now.

I had tried twice - 2 different office chairs and I didn't like either for quilting. I use a wooden stool and that puts me where I want to be.