Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Class Tools >
  • Sewing Class Tools

• Sewing Class Tools

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM

took an extra machine one time. Ending up loaning it to someone whose machine was giving her fits!
    Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

I take an Ott desk light and my own multi outlet grounded ext.cord. I take a small personal table fan (Walmart $10), I get the class where at least one member is always freezing to death and never bring a sweater or heavy coat to wrap up in making everyone else miserable.
    Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    Seam ripper, rotary cutter/blades, rulers, marking tool, pins, needles, thread.....oh, and chocolate!
    Tee-hee, I find it funny that the first thing you list is a seam ripper!
    Scary that it was the first thing that came to mind, isn't it! Gives you insight as to my "skill level"! :-D
    Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM
    Power Poster

I also take a small and large pair of scissors.
    And put your name on EVERYTHING! Depending on how crowded the class area is, it's easy to get stuff mixed up. I also label my machine, and all cables/cords. It's a good idea to label both ends of your power cord and extension cord to make sure you are unplugging the right one!
    Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by CBAKER
    I'm putting together an idea for a sewing class. I found a bag that would hold all the tools I would need to take to a sewing class. My QUESTION is " What would you put in your sewing bag, that you would need in a class ? :?:
    I recommend a seat cushion. Most class chairs are not comfortable. Also, a light similar to an Ott Lite or Bendable Bright Light.
    Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM

I always have a notebook with my sewing stuff. When I see something I like, I write notes to myself.

Everyone has covered most everything else.
    Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 PM

I ended up buying a rolling tote that I could leave packed with my class stuff. I also take it to retreats, so it has lots of stuff in it. Of course, that meant that I have duplicates of everything, which is not a bad thing.

One thing no one has mentioned is an iron and ironing pad. June Taylor has one that is a cutting board on one side and the ironing board on the other, so you have one less thing to carry. Most classes have a couple iron and ironing boards set up, but that means you almost always have to wait for someone else to finish before you can use it. If you take your own, you don't have to wait.

And you might consider taking a small table (a wooden tea tray works very well) so that you will have the space for an ironing / cutting area. Most classes I've been to, I get 1/2 of a 6' table, so the extra space comes in very handy.
    Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
    Power Poster

I think a lot of what one would want in it, would be very personal. I see people who come with most everything and those who travel light! Also, what you need varies, depending on the class and the project.

I'm thinking of making a bag and have been thinking a lot about what needs to go. If I make one, I want it to have EVERYTHING that I need to take in, except for the sewing machine. I hate having to make several trips back and forth to the truck!

Some things that come to mind (some already mentioned, I know)

* sewing machine manual, attachments, foot pedal, power cord
    * large and small cutting mat, rulers of assorted sizes
    * notebook, pattern for project
    * fabric and then the finished/WIP to take home (perhaps a plastic container to put it in, and then slide into the travelling bag)
    * rotary cutter(s), scissors, snippers
    * different types of pins
    * tea mug, mug rug, tea bags and lunch bag!
    * bandaids
    * tool box (I have a small divided tool box (about 8"x8"x2" with divisions with most of the miscellaneous stuff in that I need ... and try not to take from it when I'm at home)
    * hand lotion
    * ca$h and/or credit/card! (I never take in my purse, and download to a smaller mini bag)
    * car keys (snap hook to clip them to, so I don't lose them!)

I know there's a lot more!!
    Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 AM

A length of tape on the end of each tool so that they could be easily retrieved to the bag!
    Old 04-27-2011, 03:57 AM

Definitely label everything with a bright label and your name & phone number (if you can fit it on) would be good in case someone gets home and realizes they have somethng that doesn't belong to them. I used to use those neon lime green ones because you can look around the room and get a good idea of where your stuff ended up, there is a lot of borrowing going on because things are forgotten. For the little stuff I just put on bright little dots with my initials. That way you get your stuff back, if you ask if anyone has seen the ruler with the bright sticker with your name on it.