Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Class Tools >
  • Sewing Class Tools

• Sewing Class Tools

Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Start with the tools the class may require and go from there.
    I would definitely add the chocolate as well
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 AM

I always take my sewing machine manual. When I took a machine applique class, it made it easier finding the stitch I needed to use. Plus, if your machine act up, it could help finding the error.
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 AM

I guess I'm spoiled!! I take my classes at the local shop and they provide mats and cutters, irons and boards, comfy chairs and nice machines!! You can bring your own machine if you want. I take my own scissors and ripper, stuff for my machine. You need your own thread, pins markers, etc., but the shop is always open too! I always take a travel mug because worse than spilling something on my own project would be spilling on someone else's :shock:
    Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    Seam ripper, rotary cutter/blades, rulers, marking tool, pins, needles, thread.....oh, and chocolate!
    My kind of fellow student...can I sit near you?
    Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Scissors, thread, stylus, pins, tape measure, marking pens, needles, extra bobbins, presser feet, machine oil and cleaning brush, mini-iron, teflon pressing sheet, fabric glue, rotary cutter. That is all I can think off now. It all depends on where your class is - at a LQS where you can buy or borrow forgotten tools - or at another place where there is no access to things your forgot. Although it doesn't fit in my sewing class tote, I also bring my mat and ruler. Just sit at your sewing machine and look at all your tools and think, "Will I need that or could I use that at this class?"
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    Seam ripper, rotary cutter/blades, rulers, marking tool, pins, needles, thread.....oh, and chocolate!
    Tee-hee, I find it funny that the first thing you list is a seam ripper!
    Me too - but I also find it encouraging that you include chocolate on your list! It's nice to know I am not the only one who keeps a stash of sweets in her sewing bag. Never know when you will have a lag and need a pick-me-up.
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Without knowing what exactly you will be making...here's my list. Extra needles (machine and hand sewing), seam rippers (at least two--someone may borrow yours), small scissors, large scissors, tape measure or ruler (depending on project), pen, pencil or other fabric marking pen, notebook, a tote bag to carry project and or fabric, fabric, trims,etc needed, 2-3 spools of thread, small travel iron, and pressing mat (if not provided), sewing machine, instruction manueal, and feet, school folder (keeps hand outs from being messed up in a bag), pins and safety pins (believe it or not safety pins kept me organized at one class as I was able to pin pieces together to find later--saved time), book or pattern needed, bottle of water for iron, and mark everything with your name somehow. I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting.
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM

When I teach I always put on the class list a basic sewing kit, I never thought that ladies might now know what to put in it. I also list a sewing machine that you know how to operate, rotary cutter, etc, etc, but the big thing is EXTRA BOBBINS ALL WOUND. why spend your valuable class time winding bobbins. Just my thought :lol:
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 AM

Ruler, one of those pressing/cutting mats, iron (seems like you are always waiting to use the iron), markers both light and dark to mark your fabric.

And yes, put your name on everything.
    Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    Definitely label everything with a bright label and your name & phone number (if you can fit it on) would be good in case someone gets home and realizes they have somethng that doesn't belong to them. I used to use those neon lime green ones because you can look around the room and get a good idea of where your stuff ended up, there is a lot of borrowing going on because things are forgotten. For the little stuff I just put on bright little dots with my initials. That way you get your stuff back, if you ask if anyone has seen the ruler with the bright sticker with your name on it.
    Good idea on the colour coding ... easier to spot!!
    I usually just use address labels.
    Even have it on my sewing machine, as once you get to a class, they can all look the same .... particularly when packed up and ready to leave!

A couple more take-alongs
    * miniature design wall (depending on the course a 12x12 padded mat, that I keep by my sewing machine at home all the time)
    * couple bottles of water for yourself!