Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing classes >

Sewing classes

Sewing classes

Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

In Florida they have just about done away with "hands on" classes for students in middle and high... unless you are above average and get into a special academy. None of the basic life skills like home ec or shop are around. I believe our leaders are under the impression that everyone is college bound or going to go into major league sports. They also cut fine arts programs before they touch sports. It is a shame. Bet you would do great with a sewing class in town for the kids.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 AM

In order to cut expenses, I have sewn almost all my 75 years. Now material is so expensive that it's easier to go to the Dept store and buy a dress on sale than it is to make it at home. Especially children's clothes. I'm not knocking the fabric stores but that's just the way it is these days.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 AM

It's a shame that they don't bother with things like sewing, cooking etc anymore. These are needed things for people to learn. I learned to sew back when I was in 7th grade. Also learned to bake then. Love it.
Schools don't seem to want to spend money on things like learning to keep a home, as someone mentioned they think sports are more important. Sad.
Some of our best cooks and sewers in the world are Men. Not everyone goes out for sports.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 AM

As far as schools go here, I think they have all done away with home ec and wood shop unless they have some sort of magnet program that kids apply specifically to go to.
My oldest is a senior at a national school of excellence AND a performing arts school. She is a technical theatre design and production major as well as a visual arts student. Part of her curriculum in design and production is costume construction and her art classes also cover textile arts. She has built sets, made costume, done lighting and sound for every production (15 now?) the school has done for the last 4 years.
These classes combined with my love for sewing means she is quite the stitcher and will likely study textile art in college.
I'm going to see if I can find a photo of her stitched piece that was entered in a state art contest by her art teacher. It's quite spectacular, but, only got an honorable mention.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM

I live in a small community (about 8000 people) Our school has both wood shop and home ec. ALL students are required to take home ec. and wood shop is an elective but well attended. My son learned to use a sewing machine to mend, sew on buttons, and he made an apron. They also did cooking, and learned how to handle household finances, etc. He loved it. I bought him a sewing machine for his 23rd birthday. He uses it for mending and he also made a snuggy and a checkerboard. I don't know, but maybe these classes are only being cut in larger schools?

Oh yes, I'll never forget the weekend he had to bring a "baby" home. It would cry and if not taken care of it would be known by the teacher by way of a recording. BTW he is now a high school Biology teacher and doing well.

Last edited by lisalovesquilting; 03-20-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 AM

It all depends on the schools and states where the schools are located. In our high school we teach a popular course interior designing, amongst personal sewing, professional cooking, baking & pastry classes and cultural cuisine classes. Which class runs depends on how many students sign up for it. As money has becomes tighter the minimum number of students in a class rises and thus more classes end up being cut if not enough students sign up. The interior design class teaches students basic sewing and students can work on special personal sewing projects for this and the other sewing class. I know the F/CE (Family, Consumer Education) instructors and they do put in lots of extra after school time to assist students in their quest to become effective sewers.
So most likely if these classes are not running elsewhere it is based on student numbers registering for these classes.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 AM

Our district still has home ec. My grand daughter took one semester in 7th grade and my grand son is taking this semester. They have cooking classes and sewing. In the sewing class they make a pillow that they sew buttons on and do some emboidery on. It seems to me that the projects are very easy and they should be doing something a little harder. The 8th grade class learns to make a scrub top, which I think is difficult to make if they haven't had any sewing experience. A couple of years ago a girl called me about 8:00 the night before hers had to be turned in and asked me to help her with the neck. She had no idea how to do it and neither did her mother. I gladly helped her and told her I would be glad to help her with her other projects. I wondered if they had had any glass room instruction on putting the neck band on.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 AM

I think it is a matter of money. The states have cut the payments to the schools and they have had to cut the classes offered. Home Ec is one of the places that I learned to sew. My Mom and Grandmother also contributed to my education. The difference was that I LOVED it. It isn't "cool" to make your own clothing any more. That's my humble opinion.
Sue
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM

I think people on this board are the exception since we all do sew.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Sewing was still a class when I was in high school.
What it did was turn me into a hate sewing. So much detail that it became a chore. Every thing had to be basted etc.
I did learn to sew much easier from a neighbor but never really enjoyed sewing until quilting came my way.