Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing classes >

Sewing classes

Sewing classes

Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 AM

My mother was a fabulous seamstress but she never had the patience to teach me to sew. I learned the basics in Home Economics. The rest I learned by doing. Some kids learn by going to 4H. I think sewing is coming around more. When I go into a fabric shop I see a lot of younger ladies and kids in there.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 AM

our quilt shop has sewing classes for children. Each is a project - I know a pillowcase is one project they do. Both my kids took a cooking class in high school, my son took small engine repair, but neither took a class that involved sewing. My daughter has no idea how to sew as I didn't start quilting until 2 years ago and she's nearly 30. I sewed as a teen and young adult, but by the time the kids came I had stopped. They thought anything that needed mending had to be taken to their grandmother's.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 AM

My mom went back to school and graduated 7 years after I did. She knew how to sew and cook but took home ec anyway because she needed the credit. When she was sewing most of the other girls were goofing off. Mom asked the teacher if those girls needed some help and teacher said no they dont want to learn so teacher did nothing about it and the girls learned nothing.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 AM

You are right that both the old format of wood shop and home ec are too expensive for schools to maintain in these times of high stakes testing and decreased funding. I work at a middle school, and while both programs are still there, the enrollment is small in both. Part of it is our society does not hold in high esteem what used to be called "trades" as careers--for which we are paying a price now as a society when we don't have young people to learn those trades!

One thing I would mention, at least in the foods portion of home ec classes, boys are a large part of the enrollment and actually are often the better students--I think part of that is the recent upsurge in attention given to male chefs in our media.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 AM

School districts have been cutting back on everything that doesn't show up on standardized tests, and it's possible that there's just less demand for sewing since patterns and fabric got expensive while imported clothing stayed cheap relative to the rest of the economy. When I took a sewing class in junior high in about 1960, I don't remember any mention of quilts. We were learning to sew clothes. It was considered an important skill because it was economical. It was assumed that most women would want and need to have the ability to do at least basic sewing and mending, and a semester of sewing as well as one of cooking were required courses. All the boys were required to take a semester of shop and one of woodworking. Cross-overs by gender were not an option. These days I doubt the average woman has either the desire or the time to focus on sewing except as a hobby. It's still popular, but it's not considered necessary as it once was.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Some day in the near future, I hope to offer classes on sewing to make up for what's missing in the schools now. I have 20 sewing machines at present, so definitely enough for a classroom, but a little over half need some work on them before I can set up. Maybe if my kitchen gets remodeled the way I plan for it to be I can teach some cooking skills as well. Until then, with all the schools losing their home ec classes, we'll see more of this - http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...sewing&inv_nbr=
This is a wonderful auction site that I love to go to called govdeals.com and they have sewing machines on their site frequently from schools that are letting their sewing machines go for cheap. This link above is for previous auctions since they didn't have much at present, but I check it often with a keyword "sewing" just to see what they have. I thought our readers here might find this interesting, and might even find a deal in the future. (Kind of like shopping the Walmarts when their fabric was being removed and relishing in the sales. Hating it and loving it at the same time. )
Back to topic, it's a shame to see such a valuable commodity wasted and I hope I can help the kids in my area keep these arts alive. It's not a "dying" art yet, and I don't expect it to become one with all the interest shown on this board. Let's keep 'em sewing....
Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Kids probably would have been more interested in Home Ec. if they had to MAKE those new football uniforms. And take some PRIDE in themselves too!!! Most kids today expect to be handed things and not have to work for anything.... This generation will become "RICH" if they can figure out how to make a good living TEXTING..... lol !!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM

Thankfully that isn't the case in Newcastle, they have a home ec or home living class, yes some are in it for a passing grade, and there are those kids which have no interest in school, this spring they will me making a quilt for their bed or a lap quilt with the help of a local guild, there are several which are already excited, and hopefully it will touch some of the others when they have completed something made by themselves. Art is also important in the school, this year there is a show just for the students art work, kindergarten thru 12th grade, with prizes and awards. It has finally beginning to come full circle, the acknowlegement that college is not for every child, we need all the different skills.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Go for it. I teach 11 yr old girls for the same reason. They wanted to learn, and their mom's didn't know how. They're terrific - and not afraid to try anything. I had them sewing zippered pouches by the third lesson.
First project - apron. Second project - zippered pouches, Third project - pj pants. Fourth project - fleece hoodie with separating zipper.
etc.
Just go to your local Chapters/ Amazon etc, and look for an all around sewing book and use it for a resource. There are sites online where you can find a curriculum to follow.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Balancing a home and work life is very difficult if you do it right. You have no time for yourself. You have to sew after all the cooking, cleaning, bill paying, housework and childcare is done. Homework, bathing, playing with your children, not to mention story time at bedtime really takes it out of you. I had to give up reading books and sewing while my children were little. I was too pooped to make clothes, except pj bottoms. Now that my kids are out of the house and I'm not working, sewing is my priority. Housework comes after my husband and kids (if it even gets done at all) lol