Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing clothes, blah! >

Sewing clothes, blah!

Sewing clothes, blah!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM

I went thru this last October, so...I feel your pain...
Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
I love sewing for my little granddaughter, myself?? Not so much. I can gain 10 pounds and a quilt still fits. ;~)
LMAO!!

I like sewing of any kind!! I make all of the spousal unit's Hawaiian shirts, and the occasional thing for myself, but I have such a weird body that it's difficult to make stuff to fit. I'm long waisted, poochy tummy, no butt or hips, relatively skinny legs... alterations require thought, and thinking that much hurts, so I don't do it.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM

I like garment sewing for gifts, as well as for my boys and to some extent for myself. My DH is hard to buy for, so I sew him boxers out of novelty prints and new casual button-front shirts out of solids - he even wears my sewn shirts to work, so I feel pretty good about that!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I adore garment making, slick material not withstanding! I've made scads of lined suits for myself and loved every minute of it. Well ... almost.

I still have scads of UN-FINISHED suits hanging in the closet because I HATE HEMMING!!!

I don't have anyone close that I can trust to pin a hem on a skirt correctly while I'm standing, and when I do it myself it comes out uneven. I have a larger posterior and if I hem the skirt by measuring x inches all around - the hem line in the back is shorter than the hem line in the front - which only highlights my larger posterior. UGH!!

But confession time ... even when I find someone to pin the hem properly, I STILL have a problem hemming because I HATE handwork and I have never got the hang of blind hemming by machine.

But I really do love to make garments!!
To bad we don't live closer, I don't mind hemming at all. Have sewn for all my children(8) and did some work for the re-enactors. So I consider myself a professional seamstress. That and 2 dollars will get you a cup of coffee...LOL
I was told once if you made something and sold it for money that made you a professional. And that covers a lot of ground...LOL
Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM

I do make garments occasionally. Maybe I just got tired of it after more than 4 decades of making my own clothes. I never did like making pants. So I will make jackets and shirts when to mood strikes me. Maybe because there are more colors to work with in quilts that makes it so inviting.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM

I have never liked making clothes for myself, but I thoroughly love sewing for my kids and grandkids. Designing and making outfits for my little grand daughter is the most fun. I could do that every day. For a long time the button down shirts I made my oldest grandson was all he wanted to wear. He would help pick out the fabric, and he had some great ideas of what to make shirts out of. I love sewing dolls and all kinds of accessories too.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM

I am making a complicated dress with 48 steps - boning, criniolines, linings, interlinings, etc, right now. It isn't as bad as I had thought so I bought a new pattern for myself. I do not need to buy any fabric. The 'fancy' one is for a DGD. I don't wear crinolines any more. Now to find time to quilt, sew, garden and everything else. Stay off the QB, maybe??
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM

I rarely ever make any clothing since I have been quilting. Did think I might make a summer dress for me. Need to find a pattern and try to figure out what size - then look for fabric and not get side tracked with quilting fabric.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Joy.lynn View Post
I really love sewing garments too! In May we are going to have 5 grandchildren under the age of 3 and all, thank heaven, very close to where we live. I use the knowledge I have from sewing garments to add to my quilts, and what I have learned from quilting to jazz up garments. The two skills complement each other perfectly. However, 3 of the 4 we have now are girls, so maybe the slippery stuff and lots of pins are in the future.
Me too. And I actually love the hand sewing part. I even love hand sewing my bindings.

I made nearly all my girls clothes when they were young. My older grandsons only wear t-shirts and jeans so don't really want any hand made clothes so I've been focusing on my two younger grandchildren (boy & girl) and now I'm anxiously awaiting the addition of twin granddaughters in August. I've been sewing and knitting baby clothes like crazy. Of course I have a couple of quilts in the works too.

To add a note about difficult fabric. I made the mistake of making a fancy flower girl dress for my granddaughter. It had four!! different fabrics in it. The silky overlay and the netting underskirt were the worst part but she looked adorable in it.

This picture of all the girls has my youngest daughter Cathe on the left with my niece Macey in front of her on the left and my granddaughter Kaitlyn next to little Macey.
Attached Thumbnails wedding.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 AM

The bridesmaids dresses are lovely! I gave up on sewing clothes of any kind a long time ago. The reason I like sewing quilts, etc. an inch or two longer overall does not matter but that inch in a waist, wellllll....different story. Now I am debating on sewing my little grand daughter sun dresses, not even sure if I have the touch for this. I watch sales for clothing and am way happier and leave my sewing for what I do enjoy, quilting. I knew there were still lots of people that liked garment sewing, by the looks of all the fabric I see around. If you have fun with it, why not?