Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Commandments - the breaking of . . . >

Sewing Commandments - the breaking of . . .

Sewing Commandments - the breaking of . . .

Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

<laughing> OH man- I see myself in all of these- Especially yelling at the fabric AHAHAHAHAHA done that more than once or telling the machine to knock it off or I am gonna buy another brand and trade em in !LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 06:55 AM

I like the "thou, shalt change feet when changing stitches" I broke a needle in two places with an aweful noise when I forgot this golden rule!!!! LOL!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I love all of these commandments, and I believe we went well over 10, and there are many more out there, I'm sure. Thou shall not read these to thy spouse, who will reply "what does that mean" or "who would do that?"

Broke a needle yesterday because I didn't change the pressser foot. Have ruined several irons with fusible webbing. Thanks for my morning laugh.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Thou shall make sure all layers of your quilt are facing the same way. I sewed 1/2 binding on side only to discover backing was folded backwards. Oh S---!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 AM

thou shalt not sew through your finger!;
or leave the rotary cutter open!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 AM

been there done all of them, but still keep trying to get it right, my new one is Thou Shalt Not Try To Quilt After I said I was Tired and Going to Bed.!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Thou shalt remove all threads and strings from clothes before going in public. Thou shalt dress in normal clothes (no pajamas) before going to the store to get what is needed to finish what was started regardless of what time it is. (midnight)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Amen to that. Just last night, I was making a Saturday Market Bag for myself and I sewed the pocket piece wrong twice, then sewed the second one wrong also. I had such a talk with myself. If I spoke to anyone else the way I talked to myself, I'd have no friends at all.Some times its best to just bak away from the machine, so no one getas hurt!!
Originally Posted by sewtruterry
Thou shall sew and ye shall rip and rip and rip and rip. How many times do you have to sew the seam over and over and over again before you give up and say that is good enough. My "record" so far is 7 times. I kid you knot. I was ready to pull my hair out until I realized that I had twisted the one block by 90 degrees. That is when I realized the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Here's one I didn't see yet: putteth not thy sharpest scissors on the edge of the table points facing outward, or for sure they shall falleth on thy bare foot and pierceth it. Then thou mayest have to visit the nearest Emergency Room and explain when the doctor asks "Now how did you do this?"
Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
Originally Posted by JanTx
How many times can you sew a corner of a quilt onto some other piece of it when you're quilting on a domestic machine? Is there a limit and then you won't do it anymore? Please?
Ummmm I give up how many?? Oh not a quizz! If it's me then the answer is infinite. I can do just that for hours at a time. Keeps the rest of the family amused listening to me yell at the fabric. Like it's to blame.
I'm so gald to know that someone else yells at the fabric/sewing machine/iron. My husband will say "if it's causing you that much trouble, why don't you quit?" and I say "Shut up! I talking to the ...whatever.."