Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing a Finger >

Sewing a Finger

Sewing a Finger

Old 06-28-2010, 05:59 AM

I've done that. The needle got stuck in my fingernail and I had to back it out with the handwheel. Took me a while to be comfortable sewing again!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 AM

Poor you. I know that hurt. I have gotten the needle thru fleshy part of a finger before. Not fun!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Yeah, I've done that a couple of times...you would think after the first time that you would learn...the last time, I had to remove the needle from the machine to get my finger out. OUCH! Went to the sink, and then had to pull the needle out of the finger nail...then to ER...
I don't want to do that ever again....
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Oh I've done that too...with my Tin Lizzie long arm. Do you know how fast those things sew??? It hit my finger twice before it registered that i did it and my first concern was NOT my pain but "Oh no, don't get blood on the quilt!". After I sat down and collected myself for about a half hour I went back to machine quilting....had to get it done! I am much more careful now.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM

Owww! Sorry to hear about that. When I first wanted to get into sewing (as a teen) my mom told me why she would never sew again... She sewed her finger (broke needle which was stuck in the bone of her index finger). She had to go to the hospital to get needle dug out. I have never had anything like that happen, thank goodness, but I am definitely aware of the potential every time I sit down to sew!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM

ouch...I was covering a motorcycle seat when the needle hit the throat plate, broke and stuck in my eyeball!!! That was NOT fun.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
ouch...I was covering a motorcycle seat when the needle hit the throat plate, broke and stuck in my eyeball!!! That was NOT fun.
Eee Gads and Ouch.... hope everythings O.K.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM

I to have sewn my finger need went straight through my index finger through my nail. The needle broke off the machine I had to pull it out of my nail. But the eye of the needle was inside my finger. So off to the ER I went. They had to cut my finger open and extract the needle. It was not fun!! I have new repect for my machine!! :)
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 AM

I've done that too. I was sort of glad the machine was going fast enough that it came out too! Make sure you treat it well, I did - I cleaned it with soap and water, then put topical antibiotic/antibacterial ointment one then dressed it with a closed elastoplast dressing. It healed quickly without infection.

A friend did not fare as well - she pretended it didn't happen I think, sluiced it off with a little warm water, went back to work guarding the undressed finger somewhat, working with fabrics she had not pre-washed and she ended up with a rip-roaring infection, maybe partly reaction from dyes and finishing products on the fabric too. I took one look at it and shooed her straight to the ER. She was on IV antibiotics for two weeks, if not could have lost the finger or gotten septicemia or both.

Prevention- Work with pre-washed fabrics, put tape marks near the seam guidelines on the machine plate to remind you of finger boundaries, resist sewing too quickly, use the speed control if you happen to be a speed demon, and take breaks so you don't get too mesmerized by work and too tired.

All this from the Cross Red Nurse Take care of yourselves!

Love

Maurene

PS I finished two Job's Tears blocks, 1 pink, 1 smaller blue for Ina May's Safe Motherhood quilt panel. When I finish the whole block I'll send a photo. In the meantime here are photos of two tiny little nursing medal holder 'quiltlets' made for classmates and me to hold our precious hard earned school of nursing medals. I tried to upload photos of our church Bicentennial quilt but find Mac stuff so much harder to manage. Will persevere and send soon.

one of these was supposed to be pink and both were upright when sent!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85704.jpe   attachment-85705.jpe  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Have done the needle thru the finger, much more respect for the power of these machines after that, and what a shock. No wonder Mom kept telling me to watch where my fingers were now I use a pin or stylist to make close adjustments.