Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing a Finger >

Sewing a Finger

Sewing a Finger

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM

I did nearly the same thing-only my left thumb got caught under the bolt that holds the needle as the needle came down. The machine locked up with my thumb crushed and couldn't budge it for the life of me! After a minute or two of trying (which seemed like an hour or two!), I "CALMLY" called out for my DH to "PLEASE COME IN HERE FOR A MOMENT", which he naturally took his sweet time, since I didn't have that sense of urgency in my voice. After another minute or two, he finally figured how to get my thumb out--sheer brute strength! Now, I know if I sounded distressed, he would have come running in a panic! But then, after the crises was over, he would have laughed and wondered what all the fuss was about, and lightly chastised me for interrupting his TV! LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 PM

I was teaching sewing in high school in a regular classroom. The portable machines were installed on desks in the back of the class. One of my pupils called me ’Miss,come here, please!. One of the girls had sewn the tip of her finger.I nearly fainted removing the needle. I'm still very prudent when I sew.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
tmg

Sorry to here that. I know it hurts.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 PM

I did that a few years back. It was my middle finger on my left hand. I jumped and it just ripped out the side. Been ever so careful since then. After 55 Years I guess once isn't bad.
Mrs. I
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

I have also done this , but the needle didn't break ! I was sewing lace on a doll dress . Dummy me didn't pin or baste the lace , I was holding it and sewing . My son was a toddler at the time and distracted me and boom sewed my finger clear through ! I had to take the needle out to free my finger . So everyone be careful . Annie
Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Ouch - been there and done that too! I wouldn't even open my eyes to look - LOL! I thought my poor husband was going to faint because the thread was still stuck in my fingertip! Be careful to watch for infection too.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM

I'm really sorry about your finger, BUT.. is the machine okay, !!! See, we quilters always know where our prorities are. LOL... I am sorry about the bo-bo.... but you really don't need to bleed into your machine instead of oiling it.

This takes me back some years before my son wass even close to going away. He's a paramedic by trade and career ffor the local fire dept. and his wife is an e.r. nurse. I was trimming up some spare ribs with a new set of knives and I missed somehow and the blodd just started. Blood every where and I called my son and Les is telling him, you better get over your mother cannot stop the bleeding. So Mr wonderful and my wonderful daughter in law came right over and I hsd towel wrapped around my hand forpressure,
and he looks a me and says, come on now mom, it's not like you cut your finger, let me see it. So he and Ronda were trying to slow the the bleeding down snd it just had a mind of it's. Finally he looks down asnd he goes white snd he's almost screaming asnd telling me, Mom you cut the flipping top of your finger off and there';s not way the stitch it back. My kitchen looked like a butch shop. Well, we did manage to slow the bleeding down and it finslly stopped. So Ronda was trying to clean me up up and Les was doing kitchen duty to try to clean up everything snd anything that the would have to lhave rolled in and that kind of silliness.
a few minutes later Les ran into the small bathroom and grab Matt telling him he found my finger. It was mixed in with the spare ribs, Obviously the spare ribs were not cooked, but neither Matthrew. Les, Ronda nor I felt like cooking any more fter that. LOL..
Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Double ouch - been there done that, only my needle didn't break. Bluestarmom - triple ouch. Glad I haven't done that!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 PM

ouch !! i can say i have not done that yet but always wondered while i was fmq if it could happen now i know the answer, i think you need a day off of your from your quilting!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 PM

OMG! That is terrible! I'm so sorry. I sure hope it feels better now. Knock on wood I have never got a needle through my nail but I have skinned it on the side of my finger before. Just a warning for me. Take care