Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing half square triangles without marking the squares >

sewing half square triangles without marking the squares

sewing half square triangles without marking the squares

Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 AM

I used the method of sewing all around thee block and you end up with 4 HST. It does work, but everything is on the bias. If you use this method I'd highly recommend that you starch you fabric first. It's fast and easy.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 AM

I starch all fabric and then use the strip tube method, you can find the instructions at Quilting Lodge Blog, I am making so many and there isn't any marking envolved.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 AM

Watch Missouri Star Quilt lots of ideas. I fold and press then follow the pressed line. 1/4 inch either side. Don't need to mark or tape
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Janie: That tip is Brilliant!!! I am so going to use this. I hate having to mark for the HST"s or snowballs or whatever but that method would work perfect. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Interesting. I saw a method of making 4 hst at a time by sewing completely around the square, then cutting on each diagonal (2 cuts). But I've lost it and can't remember how much larger the squares need to be to make the right size hst. Anyone know about that method? It was super fast and accurate.
Jenny at MSQC has a tutorial on making these using charm squares for a baby quilt and, maybe, layer cakes for a larger quilt. I don't recall hearing any numbers for different sizes, but you should be able to figure it out.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
I use this method all the time when I need a diagonal seam.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quil...k-stitch-flip/
Brilliant idea!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM

I use Jenny Doan's method of sewing all 4 sides of the square together, then makng 2 diagonal cuts to come up with 4 triangles. Perfect points every time. The tute is on Missouri Star Quilt Co.'s website.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Interesting. I saw a method of making 4 hst at a time by sewing completely around the square, then cutting on each diagonal (2 cuts). But I've lost it and can't remember how much larger the squares need to be to make the right size hst. Anyone know about that method? It was super fast and accurate.
I think that is from MSQ company with Jenny. Sorry that I am repeating, I didn't check second page when I posted.

Last edited by quilting in my60s; 11-01-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM

I believe I saw that on the Missouri quilt Company You tube videos.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Try Kay England's "Nifty Notions - half square and quarter square rulers." They make great HST and save on fabric, too. Best part is No Marking. You determine the best place for the bias edge and choose the ruler for that. Cut the strips 1/2 inch wider than you want the height of the block you use. One edge already has the point cut off and I have started using Martin Mitchels little corner cutting template to nip the other corner, which makes it easier to fit them together accurately.