Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine for a Beginner >

Sewing Machine for a Beginner

Sewing Machine for a Beginner

Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 PM

Default Sewing Machine for a Beginner

I have a young friend who wants to learn to sew. She is ready to buy her first sewing machine. Her budget allows her to spend about $250. She wants to explore sewing, from making clothing to quilts. Do you have a favorite brand or model that you would recommend to a newbie?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 PM

You might be able to find an old Kenmore for less than $100. They're really a great old machine.

The problem with new machines under $250 is that they usually have pre-set stitches (there's no control over the stitch width), and they're not very well made.

There's a Bernette 15 that has control of the stitch width, metal oscillating hook (bobbin system), buttonhole applique stitch and buttonhole system for about $270.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 PM

My machine has stitch width, it was under 200 at walmart. Brother SQ-9050 and its a very good beginner machine. I have had mine for 3 years now, my mechanical was even cheaper only a little over a hundred and it is 8 years old also a brother. I feel it is a decent machine its not going to be as well made as a 1000 dollar machine but that is to be expected.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I started out with a Singer in the 70s. They don't make them like they use to. Usually newbies want all the bells and whistles with a new machine. I eventually upgrade to a Bernina and haven't ever regretted that purchase. Might check for a used machine from a reputable dealer locally.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM

I would go to a sewing machine repair man or someone who takes in trade-ins. They will have good used ones and will probably recommend a good solid one, a work horse so to speak. Make sure it works good because if she gets a messed up one, she will think sewing is not for her. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM

I would suggest she look into a Janome. I know a lot of women who have them and are very happy with them.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:06 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I would go to a sewing machine repair man or someone who takes in trade-ins. They will have good used ones and will probably recommend a good solid one, a work horse so to speak. Make sure it works good because if she gets a messed up one, she will think sewing is not for her. Good luck.
I think you are right. A good used older machine is better than the new cheap ones made today. And the dealers will give you a warranty on a used machine. I'd try a few dealers and see what they have to offer. Have a fun road trip one day and see what's out there, used, of course!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
My machine has stitch width, it was under 200 at walmart. Brother SQ-9050 and its a very good beginner machine. I have had mine for 3 years now, my mechanical was even cheaper only a little over a hundred and it is 8 years old also a brother. I feel it is a decent machine its not going to be as well made as a 1000 dollar machine but that is to be expected.
I agree. My cheapie little Brother machine has stitch width adjustment, needle left or right adjustment and about 35 fancy stitches. It has made everything from bridesmaid and prom dresses, to miner's bibs to quilts including the quilting of a queen size. Don't knock those little machines.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM

Look at Brother sewing machines. For $250, your friend can get a pretty good, many featured sewing machine. They are sturdy, sew well and Brother user guides are great. I've been using Brother machines for 7 years now without problem and without anything but home servicing.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 PM

I absolutely LOVE the Brother SQ 9050. 8 members of our guild have purchased it. We purchased 2 to keep at the quild to be used if someone does not bring theirs. It does it all. Great for beginners, especially children, as the speed control goes very slow. One of our members free motion quilted a queen size.Wal Mart has them, just under $200.00.

Last edited by MimiLinda; 06-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.