Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

Blog Entries
    I just up graded to the Janome Horizo n12000 and love it. It does lots of things I may never use. So just consider if you would use all the things it offers. But boy does it sew great. The 2 lights and magnifier is absolutey wonderful.
    Quilting in the Desert

I'm looking into upgrading from my Brothers CS6000i. I don't plan on going quite as high end, but my budget keeps creeping up as I do more research. I am more than willing to buy a used machine, but where does everyone find them? In town I have Pfaff, Babylock, and Bernina dealers, and none of them have any trade-ins. The closest dealers for Viking, Janome, and Juki are 100+ miles away, not very convenient for maintenance or repairs.

I would suggest you figure out what kind of sewing you are going to do first. If it is just mending and utility sewing, I wouldn't buy a real expensive machine. If you enjoy doing home decor like making curtains, pillows, etc. Then a mid price machine would be great. But if you love to sew or quilt a work outside the box then a high end machine is wonderful. I have made many very challenging items from tailored ladies suits to a "latte Quilt" that had very intricate machine embroidery. I enjoyed every minute that I spent on my machine(Viking Diamond). I am always taking classes to expand my knowledge and get my money's worth for the machine. I am now taking a quilt class called the "Stitcher's Garden". It is a class where you learn to use all the beautiful decorative stitchers. It is unbelieveable what you can do with these machines. Check with different dealers and make SURE they offer classes for you to learn the machine. Many also offer monthly classes including embroidery and software.
    Just my two cents worth.

I bought a Viking Diamond and just traded it in for the VD Deluxe. I am the queen of embellishment on ready made, home dec and quilts. I have no regrets. I justified spending the money because we are homebodies during the winter and I have a hobby that keeps my mind occupied and family and friends like getting special gifts.
    I have gotten my g'daughter interested in quilting and gave her my Viking 230. She just finished her first quilt and it was hung up in the library at her high school.

Blog Entries
    No regrets here. I bought my Bernina 730 a few years ago when it was the top of the line. I love it and wouldn't trade it even for the newer (and much more pricey) 830. You get what you pay for. You can always "grow into" a better machine with more capabilities, but you may be sorry if you under-buy and outgrow the machine in 6 mos. or a year.
    Create with joy in your heart!

If you want quality but are worried about cost, first of all, know for certain what it is you are aiming towards. Go to the dealers, try out the machines, and I mean spend an hour or two on the machines you are interested in buying. Find out if this is really what you want, or if the price tag or name is calling to you. Make a list of the features that you decide you can't live without, and then the machines that have those features. Then you have a choice to make. You can either buy new, or you can look for a good used machine with those features. I went the latter route. I got every feature I wanted, and then some. But in the bargain, I picked up an essentially new (used for 3 hours) Janome 6700 for $800 when the same machine from the dealer was selling for $3,400. All I had to do was get it cleaned and oiled because it had sat around so long (3 years) the oil was tacky. But the insides were spotless - not even a speck of dust. Yes it does embroidery, and I'm not interested in that. It also quilts and pieces like a dream, and it's a real workhorse, and I love, love, love it! By the way, I bought it because the cheap machine I had died after only 8 months. The needle went right through the cheap bobbin case. It would cost more to fix it than it cost to buy the machine. On the other hand, the service tech who cleaned my Janome said he's worked as a sewing machine repair person for over 15 years, and he never sees my model of Janome come in for anything except routine cleaning and oiling. So you have to think of repair bills as well.

So the gist is: just make sure you really want what you're going for, and then it's your choice to either buy new or used. Do that, and there'll be no regrets.
    MacThayer

I have a Bernina 440 with embroidery module. It was $3k+. I love the machine.. it PURRS like a kitten, and the embroidery module has never given me one ounce of trouble. HOWEVER... what scares me is when I hear people talking about the HIGH COST of repairs on these upper end computerized machines if they malfunction. I was more financially flush when I purchased it. My husband was unexpectedly disabled and our financial picture has changed drastically. I honestly WISH I had kept looking for the coveted Bernina 930 which is an older model. It is considered one of the BEST machines Bernina has ever made and it still has metal gears so it will never wear out. No computer parts either. I still watch for one everywhere I go.
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

Hi! I just purchased a used Pfaff Creative 4.0. I am wondering why you would not buy a Pfaff again? I haven't really done any sewing on it yet as I just got it on Friday and we are getting ready to head home to Canada in a few days.

I hope I haven't make a mistake.

I am almost 50. I got a Janome Horizon (new) 1.5 years ago for about $1,670. I don't regret it at all. I also just bought a used Janome embroidery machine 350E for about $600. My only regret...that I didn't have them sooner! I really like both of them!

Let me add that I paid cash so had no payments...I wouldn't be enjoying them like I do had I bought them with payments. I like the idea that they are paid for.
    Last edited by justflyingin; 03-31-2012 at 10:32 PM.

I have a 1630 also. My husband encouraged me to buy top of the line (he did NOT pay for it) but I have hardly every used anything but the basic stitches. I would say that I like it but doubt if I can say that I absolutely love it. The dealer was very bad about canceling the classes that I was supposed to take then they went out of business. I was working a lot then so did not ever get any classes which was very unfortunate. Now they say they will still 'school' me on the machine but I know they want to get me in there to sell me a new machine. The new machines sure do have a lot of nice features like self threading as well as cutting the thread. Compared to my old machines, the 1630 is fabulous. I just did not need that much machine. No remorse because it was a last gift from my dad. I just wish I would have had the follow up classes. At this point in my life, I think I would NEVER buy an embroidery machine. I would have regret and remorse to spend money for that as I just like to piece.

Love mine and affter you finish your first quilt on your new machine all those thoughts go away and never return....DO IT!!!

I, too, love my Berninas!

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    I have a Viking SE that I bought when it was the high end machine...I still use it and love it. I do regret that I spent so much because I didn't really enjoy the embroidery part of it...so I feel I have wasted that. Looked into selling it and getting something better for quilting, but when I tried the new machines today...wasn't impressed...keeping mine and glad I have it.
    Wow Elaine this could have been written by me. I bought the Viking 1+ (at the time) the top-of-the-line machine knowing that retirement was looming I bought 'up' like another poster said. The embroidery part of the machine has only been used a couple of times. I love my Viking 1+ all metal ~ manufactured in Sweden ~ wouldn't part with for any amount of money or for one of the newer machines made in China.

I like another member now being on fixed income worry about the 'mother board' going out of this computerized machine, but replacing the mother board at this time is still far less expensive than what new machines cost.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 04-01-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Never regretted it, because I never spent that much in the first place. My most expensive machine was a Designer 1 YEARS ago, got it on ebay for 1900. That was a good deal,

Blog Entries
    I love my Janome 7700...the reason that I wanted this machine was the arm space. I do all of my own FMQ'ing. The only thing I do not like about the machine is it does not like thick seams. My cheap Kenmore would sew through anything...but I have no regreats. Well worth it to be able to FMQ my own quilts.

I have never regretted getting my Bernina 1230...have had it for 20+ years...was the 2nd to the top of the line at that time. It does everything I need it to do. Only thing that would be nice to have would be the stitch regulator for quilting.

I have the Viking SE machine, and I love it. However, the company sold to a Chinese company and because of that, I couldn't reccommend this brand any longer. This machine embroiders and sews like a dream. If I were you, I would look at Bernina, Babylock and sew on them to see if they meet YOUR needs.

Be prepared to lay down some serious money on hoops, supplies. I've had this machine for at least 6 years.

I would recommend that you stay away from anything made in China !! In everything that comes out of that country quality is NOT part of the equation.
    Dance like no one is watching

Buy what you can afford. I wouldn't go into debt for a machine, just buy what you can afford and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I love my Janome 7700...the reason that I wanted this machine was the arm space. I do all of my own FMQ'ing. The only thing I do not like about the machine is it does not like thick seams..
    Mine doesn't either. My only complaint. But I've got a Singer 201 that I can haul out when I have something that's too thick for my fussy 7700. I can forgive it because it quilts so beautifully!

Yes, I have on a embroidery machine. The machine was nice but I did not use the embroidery function. I wished I had used the money towards a long arm. I think think for quilting I am very happy with the vintage sewing machines that have run me from $10-$200. My one big machine right now is the Janome 6500. I have owned it for 8 years and use it nearly daily. I have no desire to update it to the Horizon as I do not even use all the features on the 6500. What I need is a long arm. I do all my quilting right now on the Janome 6500 and it is a bear.
    Anna Quilts

I'm not sure Viking sold out to a Chinese company but the machines are made in China. Most of the machines are made overseas now and possibly Bernina may not be one of those in China. That is something to ask about with any machine. Pfaff and Singer are also owned by the same company that owns Viking.
    Quote Originally Posted by judyc62 View Post
    I have the Viking SE machine, and I love it. However, the company sold to a Chinese company and because of that, I couldn't reccommend this brand any longer. This machine embroiders and sews like a dream. If I were you, I would look at Bernina, Babylock and sew on them to see if they meet YOUR needs.

Be prepared to lay down some serious money on hoops, supplies. I've had this machine for at least 6 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    A few yeras ago I wanted one of the higher end machines, but it wasn't in the budget. I checked around and found a used Viking quilt designer with lots of extras for $700. I love it. Dealers will often have used machines for sale that customers have traded in.
    This is how I got my Viking Ruby this past fall. The previous owner no more than purchased it and then decided she wanted the latest version that had came out. There were only 7 hours on my machine when I bought it. I knew the previous owner so I knew it had been taken care of. The shop offers free embroidery classes each month so that I'm slowly learning how to use that feature which I'm excited about. This shop is go great that I haven't been able to take the past couple of classes so one day during the week when I'm off I'm going to the shop and the teacher will teach me how to do them all and I'll be all caught up. My machine qualified for financing and when it's paid down I want to get the editing software that will allow me to do so much more. Hopefully by the end of the year. I knew I needed more than the 4in hoop or I'd get bored and there was only one machine out newer than mine and I was fine with the few bells and whistles it had that mine didn't have. I figured by the time I learn how to do all there is with mine then I might be ready to advance to a bigger one if needed. With the endless hoop I may not need to even then. I know myself well enough to know that I need to either wait to get close to what I want or get what I want because if I settle for alot less I'll regret it and end up spending more money in the future getting what I wanted. Try different ones out; if they are used you can see how many hours are on the machine and ask about a warranty and classes so that you'll know how to use the features your machine has. I have so much more to learn but I know that I have a place to go to get the answers and help.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
    I'm not sure Viking sold out to a Chinese company but the machines are made in China. Most of the machines are made overseas now and possibly Bernina may not be one of those in China. That is something to ask about with any machine. Pfaff and Singer are also owned by the same company that owns Viking.
    My machine isn't that old and on the box is says it's made in Sweden. So I'm not so sure about the China thing. I love my Ruby and I'm so happy that I got it and that I went with Viking.
    Judy

Look for an online group for the various machines you're interested in. I bought a Janome 7700 after joining 2 different online groups (thru Yahoo) and asking numerous questions...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast