Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

Blog Entries
    The most important thing, after the features that you are looking for, is the dealer and their reputation. Some dealer's just sell you the machine and send you out the door! You want a group with classes on various features, an in-house repair person ... someone you will be comfortable in going to with problems. I have worked for our local Viking dealer for years and have heard horrible stories of mistreatment at other shops. The warranty issue is another problem - if you buy on-line you may be buying a stolen machine and you probably won't get your warranty work for free in any case.
    Cherylsea

When my Elna broke and parts weren't available I started looking for a new machine. They are expensive. I found a Baby Lock on Craigs list for a lot less than new. I'd buy the best you can afford and what you'll use. I love all that my BL does and if I had the $ I'd buy a high end.

I purchased a Pfaff 2170 new a few years ago, and a Brother Quattro 2 a couple of months ago. I've never regretted my purchases. I love both machines - sometimes I have both of them going at once. I figure as long as I use them, I don't regret buying them. And I use my machines several times a week. Of course, if I made such a purchase and then didn't use it ... yes, I'd regret the purchase.

I had gotten a great deal on my Elna Pro Quilting Queen 7300 and then felt guilty about it. But once i started really using Eloise I fell in love and was so mad at myself for feeling guilty. I say if you can afford it go for it, the amount of work you save with the higher end machines is well worth it. I can whip out quilts for charity and it is a great feeling knowing that the money i spent touches a lot of lives.

I have the Bernina 830, Brother Quattro, Babylock Ellismo Gold and an older Bernina 180...love them all and dont regret buying them.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

Blog Entries

Red face

Yes I have had a sick feeling in my stomach after buying the Diamond $10,000. That was 4 years ago and now I wish I had taken more care and bought more feet with it. I am so happy with it and LOVE it. This June it is paid for. One year before I bought the Koala sewing studio with the roll a bought. I paid it off then got the Diamond. Now that it is soon to be paid off I am thinking of the long arm.

I have a Bernina 440, but I didn't buy the embroidery module. If I had small children, I would have used it. But, I have never regretted buying the machine. It is just wonderful. I have an old 830 from the 60's that is wonderful too. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the newer ones have. I gulped at the price, but never regretted buying it. I always buy my machines at the County Fair and get a very good price.
    Let peace begin with me and you.

I just bought a Brother Laura Ashley nx2000 and I absolutely love it - no buyer's remorse here - just one exciting thing after another! (2,400)
    Love 4 stchen

years ago I bought the Viking Designer One,it has embroidery unit and the software was extra. I enjoy the embroidery but do not use that feature very often. For garment sewing and quilting I have been very happy. I also liked the dealer,they had classes and very good customer support, but sadly they went out of business. And my Designer One is floppy disc (remember those). but, since I used the embroidery so infrequently, I will keep using my machine.I cannot justify buying another one for embroidery. final...I do not regret my high end machine.
    Celia

Blog Entries
    I bought a Bernina activa 145 for $1000. ten years ago. That was a good price at the time about half off. I love that machine and it does all I need.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I say buy the most expensive you can afford then learn to use all the features. You can never have too many if you are a serious quilter and garment maker. I bought a Bernina 3 years ago and love it. I don't use all the features yet but my dealer helps me with whatever I want to learn. She is the best!

only for a day or so... they are well worth it . I and my friends who are not sewwers or quilters thought i was crazy when i paid $5000. for my Bernina 440 with the Embroidery Module.... They thought i was even more crazy when I two years later bought the 820 for over $7000. They are very much worth the $$$

I bought a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875. Since I work for the company, I had to learn to use all the machines that we sold in the store. After learning the machines, I fell in love with the Sapphire series. I'm a quilter and a garment sewist, so all the nice features are wonderful; especially the 10" throat space is great for machine quilting. I don't use
    all of the features, but they are nice to have when I want them. It took a while to get used to no presser foot lifter and the auto up/down of the foot. I've had my machine 3 years.

It is nice to read all the postive comments on purchasing high end sewing machines. I am on my second high end Bernina and love both machines. I truly believe you get what you pay for. The high end machines all are higher quality machines thus providing better service for many years. So I say, buy the best you can afford.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

I bought my Bernina just before I retired. I knew once I retired I wouldn't be able to afford one. I am so glad I did. That was 3 years ago and I love it.

I have a Designer SE and it was a pretty penny, but I was working then. I feel it's worth it to invest in a good machine. I also have a Bernina that I got for Christmas, but have only used it for a whopping 10 min. You can get awesome deals on ebay for used ones. You just won't get a warranty, but you'll only pay probably half or not much over it. If it were me I would have bought used if I had to do it over again. I have to say the computerized machine such as my Designer SE is awesome. Never jams, never need to make adjustments to the pressure foot, etc. My mom bought a Designer 1 on ebay and it's an awesome machine too. Anyway, good luck with your purchase
    Kathy

I have a Viking Designer 1 (used) and asked the Viking salepeople recently if I could not afford the most expensive one which Viking should I buy and she said the Ruby. What is interesting is that you don't know what companies own what now. Janome was recently bought by another sewing machine company.

When buying used machines it's important to check reviews on the model you're interested in. For example, one of the Viking Designer models didn't have a cooling fan for the motherboard, and I recall reading on the chat groups that those who used their embroidery unit a great deal had problems with the motherboard burning out. I wish I could remember which model it was, maybe someone can help with this? I am not familiar with those who used the Designer for sewing only, at the time I was reading the machine embroidery chat lists.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I've had 2 Viking Designer machines and so does my mother, cousin, aunt, etc and none of us have ever had a problem with our mother boards. I've never heard of that happening, but I guess something can go wrong with any model no matter what the brand of the machine. I've been very happy with my Viking machines, but since they're now being made in China I'd have second thoughts before buying one that was made there. Thankfully, none of mine were made there as it happened a couple of years after I bought my Designer SE. Viking said they're just being assembled in China and the parts are still being made in Sweden.
    Kathy

I found a Bernina that was a floor model but cost about $4000. I went on eBay and bought the exact model for $1400. I had used this machine in a class so I knew what I wanted. Never been in a shop in 6 years. Check out the machine first and make sure it has all the features you like. I wish mine had the auto thread cutter. No regrets for my Bernina, one of the best made.

Blog Entries
    First assess where you are as a sewist/quilter. THEN choose a sewing machine that best meets your needs. Read the reviews for the kind of machine that meets your needs. There is something to be said for the old mechanical machines. Also, while it is good to have a relationship with a dealer/repairman, life can bring changes and you may not always be in the same place.
    I am an "old dog" with a DH that would be thrilled to buy me anything I wanted with EVERYTHING on it. I have finally convinced him that I love my Bernina 1200. It meets my needs perfectly. . . just like DH!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    I have a Viking SE that I bought when it was the high end machine...I still use it and love it. I do regret that I spent so much because I didn't really enjoy the embroidery part of it...so I feel I have wasted that. Looked into selling it and getting something better for quilting, but when I tried the new machines today...wasn't impressed...keeping mine and glad I have it.
    Treasureit,
    If you like the Viking then you might consider trading it for the new Viking Quilter's machine. I am not certain of the exact design name for it but one of the instructors at LQS has one and loves it.

I bought the Viking Diamond Deluxe last summer when it came out, and I was retiring from work. Was already into embroidery on a Pfaff 2170 but wanted a bigger machine with a bigger opening for quilts than the Pfaff. The Diamond Deluxe fit the bill and I have not regretted it one bit, and I am still "growing" into it.

SVP Corp. is not a Chinese company. Singer, Viking and Pfaff are their products and yes, their major components are made in Sweden but assembled in China. But Berninas are also done in China. The certified machine tech at LQS was once a Bernina salesman and told me that Bernina's were made in China before Pfaff and Viking ever were.

I had buyer's remorse buying a lower end machine. My brother sucked as a quilting machine. The only person I know of who has regretted their higher end machine probably would be fine with it, but she seems to have gotten a lemon AND has a dealer who isn't helping her.

I don't know where you're from, but there are currently 2 Viking Designer machines on the Milwaukee Craigslist for very good prices. One is $1700/ the other $1800. These are around $5000 retail. If I had the money they'd be at my house.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast