Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine - buyers remorse? >

Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

Sewing machine - buyers remorse?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM

Before I retired, I decided I would just "go for it" and buy my "dream machine" and got a $6k Babylock. Best idea I ever had! I have never regretted it for one minute; except for when I have to sit and wait while it is in the shop for maintenance, which kills me. I love it. Thank you, thank you very much.
Judy
Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 AM

Never a regret, I pd 9000K and I have driven it that many miles. The last couple of times that I have taken it in to have it cleaned the service man said I had put another 300,000 stitches on it. I do a lot of machine embroidery on it.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 AM

I have had my Bernina 830 LE for a year now and have never regretted it for one moment. In fact almost every time I sit down to sew on Ruby, I say a little word of thanks for the wonderful man in my life that got it for my birthday despite my protesting that it was an insane amount of money to spend on a sewing machine..lol...guess I must be insane, cause I love it to pieces!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 AM

Please do your research on the last few years' high end machines and watch carefully how you use your sewing machine. Notice what features you really value and use a lot. Think about the times you thought how nice it would be if your machine only did "so and so." Asking other serious sewers questions as you did here was really savvy.

I bought an Elna Super in 1972 (top of the line then) and used it until it absolutely wore out (2010) and the company no longer supported it. My daughter gave me hers and it's ready to go in my sewing room. That machine has features I haven't seen in any machine - ever. During the year a wonderful dealer and I tried to get the Elna fixed, I bought a Bernina 1630 - high end some 18 or so years ago (I think. Anyway, I am the 3rd owner.) It's a wonderful machine and allows me to do some branching out. I like it a great deal and do use it about half my sewing time.

I've attended a get together at the Bernina dealer, showing off the newest, greatest Bernina. Interestingly, the features on that most current, high end Bernina machine had the same features the 1630 had: the screen on the machine looked different; the newer machine had more stitches; there were other differences but not, for me, substantial. Compare and contrast a few years ago's machines with the current ones. What you really want could be substantially cheaper on a lovingly used, older machine.

Before you get to the buying point, double check what's for sale used. Someone else's "used" and my "used" are not the same thing and there are wonderful buys out there - my Bernina for example. Please make sure before you invest in a used machine that it is still being supported by the company that made it. I just about spit acid when Elna America told me that there wasn't even a repair manual in the US for my Super, forget parts.

Enjoy the hunt and please let us know how it turns out.

Pat
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM

I had a Viking D1 that turned out to be more than I needed. I sold it and bought a Pfaff.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM

I bought a Bernina 750 that sews and does embroidery. Got it for less than a thousand! I am happy with it!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Well. again I will say it....look, try them out. I went looking in 1994 just for a serger. I loved my Singer of 30 years but it did not like the knits very well so I had heard about sergers. (My daughter was 4 at the time, I think) I made all our clothes and and curtains...if it could be made cheaper; it was.
I aslo worked full-time as a teacher so I knew I could buy it on time. Well, the dealers saw me coming. I did not know machines had gone up so much and had so many features. I ended up buying a new Bernina 1100 (I think) and a serger with tensions knobs 4-- something maybe. I really like them. The dealership was fantastic (1 and 1/2 hours from home) cleaned and serviced it once a year free. Great classes to learn how to use them. Took the samples and notes and glued them into users manual.
Well, 14 months later they came out with the newest lastest and greatest. Both computerized. I made a good deal with the dealers. The sewing machine is Bernina Inspiration 1530 and the serger is I think an 1100DE but not sure. I did not have room to bring both with me to daddys. I spent $5000 and got a great deal on the large 72 x 36 cutting table with mat. I love all of them and never regret trading them up for the 1530 and computerized serger.
They have been part of the family and remain that way. I sometimes think I want an embroidery machine; but would not want a combination. I could not part with this one so I would rather have a separate unit. But I still love hand embroidery so I have been pondering for ten years and have yet to decide and now that I am back to quilting I am looking at the Juki and or Bailley 13 so...I understand the dilema on selecting a new machine. But I recommend Bernina and a reputable dealer. That said good luck. Teresa
Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

In the fall when the new machines come out, many people trade in thier older models. I suggest you let the dealer know you are in the market and see what happens. There are machine snobs out there that always have to have the newest on the market, and you can find some great deals this way. Also let the local guild know you are looking too. I hate to say this, but, when a member passes away, the machines are often offered at a cut rate cost to the members. Both of these ways are how I got my berninas at a fraction of the original price.

Oh make sure the machine has been serviced by a reputable serviceman recently. And plan on having it serviced and checked over immediatly after buying it. There is nothing like peace of mind knowing your machine is top shape.

Note... I typed this before reading any other posts. So if I stepped on anyones toes.. My appologies.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-31-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM

I bought a Janome 1600 for about $2000 and have had nothing but trouble with it knotting up and making thread nests on the bottom of my fabric. The dealer tells me it's the thread, but I have always used Gutermann thread and had no issues whatsoever. It's an excellent thread. Another Janome dealer that I spoke with at the TN Quiltfest says I should NOT be having trouble with Gutermann thread. So, who do you believe??? For me, that was a lot of money and I feel like it was wasted. I wish we had another dealer in town. About ready to take this one back and ask for my money back. Wish now I had just bought a used Bernina off ebay!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I bought a Janome 1600 for about $2000 and have had nothing but trouble with it knotting up and making thread nests on the bottom of my fabric. The dealer tells me it's the thread, but I have always used Gutermann thread and had no issues whatsoever. It's an excellent thread. Another Janome dealer that I spoke with at the TN Quiltfest says I should NOT be having trouble with Gutermann thread.
Sounds familiar. I had a troublesome Janome 4800 which wouldn't do free motion quilting - it was impossible to get the tension right. I too was told by the dealer it was the threads (Superior King Tut) that I was using - when he wasn't telling me it was my incompetence causing the problems. I now have a new dealer and a new machine (Janome 7700), and, miraculously, I'm suddenly quite good at quilting and the thread are fine. Some machines are just lemons, and Janome and some of their dealers are NOT good when it happens.