Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine for classes >

Sewing machine for classes

Sewing machine for classes

Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Sewing machine for classes

I am considering a Brother CS6000i or a Janome Gem. Any experience/reviews/suggestions?
Thank you!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Currently, I am thinking of trading my smaller machine for a more up-to-date model.
I don't know either machine you have mentioned, so can't specifically answer your question.

However, some considerations I am already thinking ...
* Is your At Home machine, Brother? or Janome? ... similarities of operation may make it easier to switch from one machine to the other

* Would the feet, bobbins and accessories be interchangeable between the two?

All things being equal, those answers would probably sway me towards a Little Sister machine!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 AM

I always stick with the Janomes. Whether it's a computerized or a mechanical model, they always are so dependable and powerful. You never get tired of them. By the way, you didn't specify the exact model for the Jamome Jem series.

Either way, I find the 3/4 size of this series as well as the "Hello Kitty" 11706 3/4 size sewing machine I actually own since 2011-now discontinued-the best of both worlds. Compact does not mean under powered. Simple small menu of stitches does not mean impracticable or limiting or even just for beginners. Do keep that part in mind no matter what model you choose if you go the Jamone way.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 AM

Serious question, have you tried them both for portability? Everything else being equal go with better case. Consider whether you will be using a wheeled case or hauling yourself plus gear? My cheapo brother doesn't have the "integrated" case where it is a cover and your hand fits in an opening to hold the machine like my last one did, it just has a box Fortunately I don't have to take it with me very often. If I did more I'd definitely get a rolling bag.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:21 AM

My home machine is the Janome MC6600P. I am not educated yet on the Jem models. Weight is a big consideration for me as I am unable to lift much.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I have the Janome Jem and never had a bit of trouble. My friend has the Bother CS6000i and never had a bit of trouble. I think the Jem has more features but not sure. Both seem the same weight to me.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM

My travel machine is a Brothers SE-350, an older embroidery machine but only the machine travels with me. Brothers makes nice in expensive machines that are great to take with you to classes.
I also recently acquired a FW that may soon take the place of the Brothers machine. I have not decided yet on that one.
What ever you decide make sure you have a machine that is not to heavy for you to transport with you.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:31 PM

Unless you need fancy stitches or zigzag my go to is a vintage Singer featherweight. They are solid metal and are gear driven so no electronics to mess up when away from home. The machine itself only weighs 10# cases add additional weight. SewEzy sells a traveling portable table with wheels you can get an insert for to fit the featherweight. Love my fancy Berninas but the quality straight stitch of a featherweight can equal it any day of the week.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
I am considering a Brother CS6000i or a Janome Gem. Any experience/reviews/suggestions?
Thank you!
I am on my second Brothercs6000i. My first lasted 7 years of heavy sewing and only cost $180. My new one only cost $150 and is going strong Travels to classes and to Florida with me plus four of my friends have also bought them for
classes. They all love them too. So easy to operate and has many fancy stitches that I seldom use. Have quilted lap and baby quilts on mine plus wallhangings.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by FWLover View Post
Unless you need fancy stitches or zigzag my go to is a vintage Singer featherweight. They are solid metal and are gear driven so no electronics to mess up when away from home. The machine itself only weighs 10# cases add additional weight. SewEzy sells a traveling portable table with wheels you can get an insert for to fit the featherweight. Love my fancy Berninas but the quality straight stitch of a featherweight can equal it any day of the week.
this is always an option but they don’t show up everywhere for a good price. It took me years to come upon mine in the wild at good prices. I have several low end Brother machines at different places and none of them have ever given me any trouble and they take any thread.