Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine foot pedal query >

Sewing machine foot pedal query

Sewing machine foot pedal query

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM

Try contacting the manufacturer or the sewing store where you bought your machine. They should be able to help you. There may be an adjustment you are unaware of that will solve your problem.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM

I Googled a question about speed control of sewing machine pedals and up popped the QuiltingBoard. And then, I had forgotten my login/corresponding PW.
I am responding to a three year old thread so this may never be read, but one can try.
I noted one person suggested using a graphite spray on the spring underneath my foot pedal and I'll try that before complaining any more. I would like to add that it is NOT necessarily your foot, but may be brand-specific. I've tried with bare feet and then Speedo swim shoes without any improvement. I do a great deal of FMQ on my Husqvarna 870 Quilt. Sometimes, I can find just the right speed to keep stitches even. I have tried setting my machine to slower speeds (there are 5 of them) but too often, cannot maintain that nice, even speed (or find it again after stopping to re-position my hands). I also have a BabyLockQCP and must say I have significantly more control over that foot pedal compared to the Husqvarna - but the provided darning foot hops (very annoying noise to me) and has clear plastic in an oval ring=poor visibility.
I inherited my mother's Bernina 1030 and, once again, that foot pedal is EASY to control. Just like different makes of automobiles, foot pedals all respond differently. I hate feet that 'hop' and so am drawn to the Husqvarna because it has a 'floating' foot option. The 25 year old (or so) Bernina is the quietest, smoothest machine I own and makes the most beautiful straight stitches of all, but the throat space just doesn't accommodate the bed-sized quilts I make for loved ones. I love piecing with the Bernina and attaching bindings. If there were a way to change the connector on either the Bernina pedal or the Babylock pedal so it would fit my HV, it would be a match made in heaven for my FMQ. Any mechanics/wiring gurus out there? There has to be a way. Thanks to anyone who has an idea!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA PEACH View Post
Its your foot, some sew bare foot it helps them gauge by feel, gradually push down.
I do that. I most always sew (and drive the car!) without shoes on. I think it gives me better feel. I learned to sew on a 301a and still sew on that machine. I do sew quite fast (as was pointed out to me at the class I took ) I can sew more slowly on the 301a when I need to. Its a bit hard to get the hang of but it can be done.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
No variable speeds most of the time I am scrambling to keep up
That is the time to take your foot off the control and start over. In teaching 4-H kids to sew, there is usually a very large eraser duct-taped under the part you press down with your foot. This helps keep them from going out of control with pedal to the metal. Someone else suggested lubricating the spring, which I sometimes have to do when there is a very large spring that looks similar to the ones on wooden clothespin. Where that spring makes many loops or coils, I smear a bit of vaseline on the coiled part and squeeze the pedal down and up a number of times. Of course, do this with the machine unplugged until you are prepared to sew.

Don't give up on this machine. Toyota sewing machines were built to be work horses. Learn to handle it and keep it when you get a second machine. A backup machine is always a good idea.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
A backup machine is always a good idea.
Two or three backup machines is an even better idea!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:14 AM

Humbird, thanks for the suggestion. I bounce among machines and sometimes the pedal issue bites me. Your idea will keep me out of trouble until my "foot" memory for a particular machine comes back. I've been at this for 60 years and you'd all get a good laugh with me at the treadle when the electricity is off. Now that takes real foot memory. Two feet worth!

Just got a message. My post is too short. Oh my! And I always feel as though I owe everyone an apology for too long a post. Hope this posts now.

Alvie
Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 AM

This has been my complaint for a long, long time. I think the cheaper machines are less sensitive than the better machines. By saying this, I mean on my Janome 7700 the machine responds whenever the foot petal is pressed. On the cheaper machines you have to press several taps or press harder resulting in a runaway machine. I hope I explained myself so my complaint--problem--is clear.
Sue
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM

I recommend sewing barefoot as well, I feel like I get much "feel" with my foot pedal barefoot. I actually hate shoes and socks
Old 09-30-2016, 05:12 PM

I bought a generic foot control pedal to use on an old brother that my FIL had. Someone had attached a foot pedal to the cabinet to be used as a knee control. What a pain in the rear! It was too hard to push there, and had no adjustability. The generic foot control I got off Amazon worked just fine, variable speed. It was only about 12 bucks, I think.