Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sewing machine  on a generator? >
  • sewing machine on a generator?

• sewing machine on a generator?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
    Power Poster

if it is a computerized machine i would not use it with a generator unless a surge protector will work also- you could fry some computer component if the electicity varies from strong to weak (brown outs)
    if it is an older/vintage machine it would probably be a little safer. that's why i want a treadle- so when the lights go out...but i enjoy hand work so i just revert to hand stitching when the lights go out.
    Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Please be careful. There was a story on the Atl area news station last week about a family that had their electricty cut off because they didn't pay bill and neighbor loaned them a gas powered generator....the put it close to a door into the house and 2 people died of carbon monoxide (sp) poisining.......the neighbor was devasted.....there were 4 folks in the house and 2 died...how sad.....

I don't know anything about using generators so I don't have a clue about your original question......
    Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM

I would not use a computerized machine on a generator..
    Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm off grid and run both my sewing machine and my computer from either the battery bank or the generator all the time. They are on surge-protected power strips, and the inverter for the battery bank is a modified sine-wave so very stable.
    Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 PM

I was in an Amish quilt shop a few years ago and they had several none computerized machines. The husband was sewing away using generator power.
    Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
    Power Poster

I used my sewing machine with power from our generator last Dec. for a short time. It worked like it did plugged into the wall. The generators make electricity just like we use here in the USA. As long as it makes enough power for whatever you have plugged into it, you can use it for anything needing electric, like refrigerators and freezers.
    Old 10-30-2011, 05:05 PM

I agree with those that advise against using a computerized machine on the generator. Older mechanical would be fine. The computerized ones are probably okay with a surge protector as well but I just wouldn't take the chance. We just power back after being out for 24 hrs. My family in CT is anticpating being out for a week or longer. They were out for 5-6 days following Irene. Fortunately we had no outages then - just flooding.
    Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM

I wouldn't try it with an electronic or computerized machine. Not enough power or 'brown outs' are more dangerous than power 'spikes' as you don't realize it's happening.
    Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 AM

As others have said, it would depend on the type of generator. We have a 'whole house' generator. I've had no problems sewing ( Bernina 1530) on it when power was out. Having recently replaced that with a Janome Horizon 7700 and not having lost power, haven't used it yet.
    Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 AM

First of all, so sorry to hear all about the snow you easterners received hope it melts soon so life can get back in order. :) :) :) Living in upper WI we've had light dusting but very cold 21' temps.

When we go camping & there is no ele. DH brings the generator but I always have a surge protector & plug in from the camper. He fishes, me sometimes, but I have to take my quilting, the other campers think this is great! :)