Standby Generator

Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Default Standby Generator

Even though we were lucky enough not to lose power during Isaac, we are considering a standby generator, the one that would tie into our gas line and come on when the electricity goes off. Does anyone have one of these? Do you think it is worth the cost? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM

We have one and for the first time this year we used it when the power went out. However, the generator kicked in and kept our food cold, house cool, lights on. We needed these things for about six hours. There have been times in the past when power was out for five days in winter. Sure could have used it then. We purchased ours from Harbor Freight and installed it for about $1100. We certainly believe it is worth every dollar especially for extended periods of time. In saved foods alone if nothing else.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 AM

My sister in Baton Rouge has a "whole-house" generator. Several years ago she lost power during a hurricane and was out over two weeks...she had to drive to Liberty, MS to get gas to run her small generator that kept her refrigerator and freezers running (not to mention the work of keeping it filled). Following that episode, they had the standby generator installed. It ran for 88 hours during and following Issac. She thinks it's worth every penny. If you live in Louisiana, you can be sure there will be another hurricane.

We had a Generac installed last year because if we have an ice/snow storm and lose power, we can't get out and depend on electricity for everything, even water. It has run a few times for several hours...we just consider it insurance.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 AM

We live in the mountains and frequently lose power due to downed trees. Our generator is priceless to me! When we retired here and bought our house, one of the main reasons we chose it was it came with a generator. When we lose power for several days, it becomes worth its weight in gold! So I'd say- buy one! When your power goes out in the middle of the night and you don't have to get up to worry about heat or your food, you'll be glad you did!
ps- Before retiring to the mountains I lived most of my life in Florida/hurricane-land, so I know what it's like to live without power for days on end!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 AM

We had one until we built our farm and my husband thought we should leave the gas generator at the house we sold. Now we have a portable generator and when we needed it last winter during a terrible snow storm neither one of us could get it started! Get the automatic generator, just make sure it has the feature to automatically run periodically to keep it maintained. And run it under full power periodically - simulate being without power - to insure your transfer switch is working.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:43 AM

A few years ago, remnants of a hurricane came through Ohio (yes, Ohio!) and we were without power for 9 days. A neighbor had a portable generator that he brought to us once a day to run our fridge and freezer, so we didn't loose any food. After that, we bought a portable generator. During the past year, we have been without power once for 2 days and once for about 20 hours. My DH put the generator in the back of his truck and we shared with neighbors - 2 hours at a time - so no one lost any food. All these outages were in warm weather, so heat was not a problem. But we occasionally loose power in the winter, so I love the idea of having the generator. I think ours was worth the money!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

We just have a small gasoline generator, not used it much but worth every penny we gave for it. It is insurance just knowing we can keep the two refrigerators running. We have a wood buring stove in the kitchen for heat. Electric not out very often since electric company had crews going around trimming trees.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Let me ask you one question--Have you ever lost a freezer and fridge full of meat and your insurance company tells you this is not a covered lose. Believe me the cost of a back up generator is worth its weight in gold. And you'll love this- your insurance rate goes down.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM
KLO

Yes, we have exactly that! I would do without a few other things before I would do without that generator. Now when the power goes out (and it seems like that happens more and more each year), I wait about 20 or 30 seconds and it kicks in and all is well again. I no longer worry about having enough water (we are on well and septic) for drinking or flushing. Saves on food spoilage and distress for us. We installed it in our house about 5 years ago. My only problem now is that we are probably moving in the next month or two and that house does not have the generator. Guess we will be installing one again. That is more important to me than new furniture, new car, new refrigerator, new shoes .... well you get the idea. My recommendation: If you can afford to do it, go for it especially if you lose power now and then. It really does put your mind at ease. Did I mention that I love my generator? We call her Gina!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

A good generator is worth every penny.

This may seem like a DUH but remember if you are in a flood area to have the generator raised several feet or more off the ground and the same for the extra fuel.

Last October 30 I was without the big E for nine days when a sever snow storm hit and downed hundreds of E lines.