Standby Generator

Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Red face Generators are priceless.

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Yes, we have exactly that! I would do without a few other things before I would do without that generator. Now when the power goes out (and it seems like that happens more and more each year), I wait about 20 or 30 seconds and it kicks in and all is well again. I no longer worry about having enough water (we are on well and septic) for drinking or flushing. Saves on food spoilage and distress for us. We installed it in our house about 5 years ago. My only problem now is that we are probably moving in the next month or two and that house does not have the generator. Guess we will be installing one again. That is more important to me than new furniture, new car, new refrigerator, new shoes .... well you get the idea. My recommendation: If you can afford to do it, go for it especially if you lose power now and then. It really does put your mind at ease. Did I mention that I love my generator? We call her Gina!!!
Our generator is priceless. My husband and I have a total electric house. Two years ago we were without electric for 2 weeks. We ran our generator which helped with the refrigerator, etc. We later installed wall propane heaters with fans and automatic shut offs. Then we got a 500 gallon back up propane tank. Now, when the electric is off, we have electric plus heat and I don't regret it one bit. It is nice to come home to a warm house and electric . I do use an all metal sewing machine when my electric is off so I won't blow a pc board. Works just fine and I smile away.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM

We have a portable one we use on our farm. When we build our new home, we will have an automatic generator installed. Buying it thru our son in law. That is in his line of work. Get an automatic one, if you can afford it. And then hope you never have to use it.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Carol Jean View Post
Our generator is priceless. My husband and I have a total electric house. Two years ago we were without electric for 2 weeks. We ran our generator which helped with the refrigerator, etc. We later installed wall propane heaters with fans and automatic shut offs. Then we got a 500 gallon back up propane tank. Now, when the electric is off, we have electric plus heat and I don't regret it one bit. It is nice to come home to a warm house and electric . I do use an all metal sewing machine when my electric is off so I won't blow a pc board. Works just fine and I smile away.
Our house is all electric also! But we have the portable generator, a wood stove, a hand crank sewing machine and a treadle machine, so I am all set for the power outages! The outages seem to be happening a lot more frequently in SW Ohio. It used to be only an ice storm or a very severe thunderstorm that would cause the electricity to go off, and then only for a short time. Now even a small thunderstorm can cause a blackout that is not restored for hours or even days...
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM

If you can afford the gas to run it, it,s great