Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine for granddaughter? >

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Yes, now! Buy a Janome silver or Gold with all the quilting stuff and a little carry bag. Most of my children start some where from 3-10 yrs old.
Yes, these are great machines, 2 of my granddaughters started with these when they were about 8 yrs old, easy to operate but sturdy, they quickly learned to thread & wind bobbin by themselves, I also love theses machines for class & travel. Those granddaughters are still sewing, one just for special events but the other very often & is a member of the American Sewing Guild.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
With parent's approval, I would buy her one of the lower priced Brothers. They are great little machines and most likely will be on sale at Walmart as part of the Black Friday sale items.
I agree. Buy her a real one. And get her one that is computerized,. (like a Brother from Walmart). Kids are all about technology and it will keep her more interested in using it if it is computerized.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:51 PM

My 7 yr old next door neighbor child learned to sew on my Elna 720. She took to sewing like a duck to water so I bought her a Brother C something or other for her first Holy Communion gift. She was thrilled since it had nearly all the same bells and whistles as my Elna. I've lost track of all of the things that she has made by now at age 11. PS her mother does not sew a stitch.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 AM

9 is a good age to introduce sewing to a child. I recommend an inexpensive Brother machine, one that has a few "pretty" stitches, as kids have fun trying them out. Mechanical is fine, but the computerized ones usually have more stitches to play with.

Unless your grand daughter is very hard on her things, that should get her through and beyond the initial learning stages. It'll also be light enough to be portable. And if she doesn't take to sewing, than you will have a machine to travel with.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM

I agree with either a Brother or a Janome for a first machine. I have 2 machines I use for myself ( An old White and a Janome) and my own DD has a basic Brother. None of my machines are computerized and I like it that way. I think it is a matter of preference if you get her a computerized one or not. How is she with computers, etc.? Do your research but I think getting her a sewing machine is definitely the way to go.

A little off topic, but have you thought about showing her how to hand sew? Good luck!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:54 PM

my youngest learned to sew on an old straight stitch sewing machine of mine. the one I bought when I was first married in 1965. if I were you, I would go plain, and cheap. and probably used. a plain one.....do you have an old one, that you can designate as hers'? and keep it at your house to supervise her. you can sew your finger, you know. I almost did the other day when I was Free motion quilting....and we sure don't want that to happen...