Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine for granddaughter? >

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

Old 10-26-2016, 05:41 AM

I would go with a well maintained Singer Featherweight. They are simple for ease of use, mechanical (vs computerized) for ease of maintenance, and they sew a very nice seam.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:45 AM

Babylock has the BL9,(9=number of stitches) full size machine, my service gal sells for $99.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions and things to think about. My granddaughter has been using my machine off and on for a couple of years now and it is pretty clear to me that she will not lose interest. Her mom is not much of a sewer but has a machine so I think she will be able to help with thread jams. I still have to talk to her and won't do anything without her approval. I am also not that far away so that I could help her if needed. I was thinking of a basic Janome and someone had suggested I get one from a dealer near her so she could have a lesson on it. That's a great idea and one I hadn't thought of. I am thinking before I go ahead and give it to her, we would have a sewing weekend with just her. I thought we would go to the fabric store and pick out a simple pattern for her to make a skirt or something for herself. It would be a good time to show her how to wind bobbins and thread the machine. In the past I always did that for her.

Last edited by parrynj; 10-26-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM

My grandkids always used my Brother 6000i ( I think that's the name) Bought it at Walmart. I loved that machine for piecing. It is great & fairly inexpensive. I lost mine when a power surge went through my house. It was on a power surger too but the outside wiring coming into the house was bare rubbing together until it finally like blew up. Long story & very scary. Anyways I would recommend it highly for kids or anyone ( us big kids too) lol that wants to sew. I'm not sure of the price but probably around $150.00
Old 10-26-2016, 01:30 PM

I would get her a "REAL" machine and have had my grands using the my 2 Featherweights from the age of 4+
Old 10-26-2016, 01:45 PM

1. Involve her in the decision-making process. That way she'll feel invested in her choice.
2. Buy her a good-quality machine; nothing is more discouraging to a newbie than frustration with an inferior machine.
3. Buy a machine that you would want. Should she lose interest, you can take over ownership.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM
ESR

I have a vintage Singer Slant-O-Matic that I got off of letgo.com for $20. Threading it is a bit of a challenge, otherwise, it's a great machine, very smooth-running and simple to operate. My 8 year-old had his first sewing lesson on it recently and after a quick "This is the pedal, this is how you reverse, this is how you raise and lower" he had no trouble at all operating it.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:11 PM

I was making all my own clothes by the time I was 10. My first machine was treadle. I did have one accident with it and put a needle through my index finger. A girl that shows interest and carefulness should be encouraged. I would buy her a reasonably inexpensive Brother machine and teach her to use it. The Brother machines--even the less expensive models at Walmart--have a great reputation and lots of features.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 PM

What kind of machine do you have? Since you know how to use yours, and your granddaughter has used it a bit, you might stay in the same product line. It need not be the top of the line, but certainly would consider something with the auto threader, 1 step buttonhole and some stretch stitches. Perhaps even a lower level computer chip machine -- they tend to jam less and she already knows more about computers than most of us! I envy her -- may you have many granny & g-daughter hours to share!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:28 AM

So many good suggestions by QB members...I think nine is a great age, especially since she is already showing interest.