Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine for granddaughter? >

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

Sewing machine for granddaughter?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:34 AM

I too would go with a good basic machine. All the bells and whistles are not necessary. She will need to learn the basics and how to use/control the machine before she will need all the frills. You can always update later as her skills grow and you know if this is a full blown hobby
Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 AM

I was a home economics teacher for a number of years. I had both junior and senior high students-many of whom had never touched a machine before. Simple machines are a necessity so children can learn without distractions of curiosity about too many functions. My recommendation is for you to let her use your machine until you see whether or not her interest continues. If you purchase a machine for her too early, it will be overpowering and can create a guilt trip for her or for her parents. My granddaughter, age 9, is coming for Christmas and wants me to teach her to sew. I will set up a machine for her and a simple quilt for her dolls. Then, we will sew together. I am excited because she wants to learn with me; therefore, I plan to start with a simple project that will be guaranteed to succeed.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:18 AM

Like others, a simple basic machine is perfect. I like Janome but I would go with what's available in her town. I would also invest in a good case for her. She can pack it up and let it sit idle if her interest wanes. It will be there for her.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

This is what I got my niece and yes definitely a case. The first thing we did was go through the manual and note all the parts of the machine and how to thread it and set the tension. I did not thread it for her. Her grandma sewed and we ere both sitting with her helping her through it. She put directional arrows on it with a marker and arrows to show how to load a bobbin. works for her. She's 11 now and still makes items for others. She was 9 1/2 when she made a baby quilt for a friend's shower. the little guy uses it as his security. the Janome wasn't complicated and we only paid $50 for it. She does like to use my 401 once in awhile.
Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Like others, a simple basic machine is perfect. I like Janome but I would go with what's available in her town. I would also invest in a good case for her. She can pack it up and let it sit idle if her interest wanes. It will be there for her.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 AM

I bought my granddaughter a used Brother at a community yard sale for $20. And that's about all it's worth. The tension is so off, but it was great for her to practice straight stitching on lined paper. I was always adjusting the tension so I left her use my old Elba. That has speed control which turned out to be a big help. She lives nearby so the machines are here, & Grammy has a stash & I can help her figure how what she wants to sew. My youngest granddaughter lives 1 1/2 hour away and can't wait till she can stay over & learn to sew! Just make it fun for both of you!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:57 AM

I would look for one with speed control. I have a 4 1/2 year old that it wanting to sew. :-) Copying mommy. I love that the brother I just bought has speed control and push button start. Its nice to set the max speed so she can focus on the fabric. (she is sitting on my lap with my hands right their). I got my own machine about that age. I would of course ask her parents but I would get a good basic machine. You don't need fancy to start but you want something that will feed thread nicely so you can work on the sewing and not fighting with a machine.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 AM

if you decide to buy a new one try a local quilt shop, most carry a basic machine and will offer a lesson on how it works. One of my shops offers kids classes as well, the starting age if 9.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM

I am teaching my neice to sew. She is 10 (started when she was 9 using a sewing machine). I found a nice singer at Good Will on their 1/2 price day. Only paid $10.00 and all it needed was a good cleaning. No bells and whistles but has a few designs she can play with and is not a very old machine.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:17 AM

I started sewing when I was nine and joined 4-H at the time and I am still at it. My mom bought me a Singer with a shuttelcock bobbin and the bentwood case which I still have. I agree see if mom and dad are ok with machine and then if you decide to buy one I would go to local sewing machine dealer and look for a basic used machine. Maybe look for a 4-H group in her area, there is a 4-H group in my area that meets monthly and has different projects for each month.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM

I would look for an inexpensive vintage singer...one without electronics or plastic parts. I started my DGC out on a handcrank. Now they love my featherweight. I keep my scrap bag available...they make string blocks for me.