Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine Help please!

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Does it sew with a foot control on the floor? Unplug that and replug it in making sure it is in securely. What does it say under the red light? I can't make it out.
    I do use the foot control. It says stop start.

Do you have the bobbin winder engaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    Do you have the bobbin winder engaged?
    nope

I can't think of anything else to troubleshoot with...I think you need to call in the big guns...BILLY?????

WHACK IT ?????

Quote Originally Posted by nwm50
    WHACK IT ?????
    You're so funny! :lol: That is usually my final, last ditch solution too!

Where did you purchasr the machine? Maybe call a sewing machine store and talk to a tech.

Since your machine is computerized, do you have anything magnetic within the machine area? Maybe the magent is making it go haywire.
    Otherwise everything the others mentioned I would have suggested.
    Good luck.

Did an error number come up in the screen? You might check that if it does, then that number should be in your book. What ever you do, don't go to fixya.com. I got a virus there one time.

May have jumpped timing.

Blog Entries
    Check on the Singer site for a dealer or authorized repair center and get the number and call them oir email Singer with the problem.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Is this why we keep our old machines that aren't computerized?

The only other thing I can think to try would be to move the speed lever all the way to fast then back down to your comfortable sewing speed.
    Good luck.

Aully, your machine needs to be oiled. Have you done so recently? If not, it might be frozen....not a good thing.
    Good luck...how frustrating not to be able to sew when you want to.

Lyn
    Did you hit a pin while sewing? I have done that before and it ruins the timing. You might want to take it to someone that works on sewing machines. My friend is a Pfaff dealer but he works on many different machines. Takes out all the guess work.

jal
    I would suggest that you call Singer customer service. They are extremely helpful with answers and lots of patience. Their number (800) should be in your manual.

ok here's my guess. Yes your machine has computer board. You see the screen where it shows the stich etc...That is driven by a computer board. When was the last time you oiled the machine. There is only one or two places on a machine with a computer board. My next guess is to disassemble the bobbin section of the machine. Sometimes thread gets caught where you never expect it. Take off the needle plate and inspect for any fuzz or thread around the feed dogs. Try shifting the wheel on the right back and forth for any movement. Last of all go on Singer's website and see if there is a forum about tips etc. You might get real lucking. If all else failes take it to a good Singer repair facility. Depending on how much you paid for the machine make a judgement call. Unfortunately, that is why most of us have at least one backup machine in a crisis. Good luck and let all of us know what happens.

How long since you oiled it?

Banned
    google your machine and ask the manufacturer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aully
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    If it has computer parts, turn it off and turn it back on.
    No computer parts.
    It surely looks computerized to me. They're testy buggers. If you bought it from a dealer, I'd suggest calling/visiting him. Since "sleeping on it" hasn't helped - nor any of the other suggestions - maybe a good round of cuss words and a kick. I'm just sayin'.............

Hi,
    On the picture, your Stop/Start button is red. That button is for sewing without the foot pedal. Make sure that it is off. Also, I noticed that your speed indicator is all the way on turtle. Try moving it to rabbit. That is all I have.
    I took one of my machines back to the store,because the feed dogs would not come up. You have to turn the wheel to lift them. DUHHHH. I was soooo embarrassed.
    If you live near a quilting store, you may be able to get a new set of eyes on it, especially if they happen to sell Singers. Shop owners and quilting customers are very helpful at times.

Does it work when pushing in the start stop button for sewing, or is it only when you have the foot pedal plugged in?

Also what is the "88" mode that you have it set on?

Were you doing Free motion prior to it stopping?

Take out bobbin case, could be thread inside of the case,
    Oil the "wick" in the center of the bobbin case area. Do Not take the wick out....it looks like lint (white) so DO NOT TAKE IT OUT. A few drops of good sewing machine oil is all you need.

Also, what model is this machine can't tell from the photo?

I hope you try all of the suggestions and let us know how you are doing today.
    Diana in TX

Banned
    I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I have a computerized one that says error and no repair man so far knows what to do to fix it.

Blog Entries
    It could be the belt has broken. If you can get the top off the belt will be easy to see. Don't take the wheel off or apart. It has to many maze parts that have to fit just right. Please post what it takes to get if fixed. I'm keeping a file on machine troubleshooting.

I would take it to a repair they probably won't charge you much maybe free this has happened to many of us I am sure (rather than break something else) leamelon

I got the machine last year for my birthday in March from my boyfriend Brian. It is from Costco, The make is Singer and model numer is 4166. You can not disable the start stop button you just use the foot pedal to sew instead. I have taken the bobin area all appart and cleaned it, I have not oiled it lately. Maybe it got tired of me using it for the 2 hours straight. lol! I don't have anything magnetic aroung my machine just metal which are my sewing scisors. I have looked on the Singer website and they don't even have my machine on it, nothing in the forums either. I will try calling the 800 number tonight. I have been so stressed out with this that I have been sick with a migraine ever since. :( Thanks everyone for all your wounderful replys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast