Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine Help please!

This happened to one of my machines...turned out it was the timing. I chose not to have it repaired as my machine was not all that expensive. It would have cost almost as much to have it fixed as the cost of the machine!

Sorry that all this has brought on a migraine. Hope you feel better soon, and that you find someone to help you with your machine problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Sorry that all this has brought on a migraine. Hope you feel better soon, and that you find someone to help you with your machine problem.
    Thanks it's not your fault though. :)

I still say~~~~ Whack it.............okay, okay...im not helping! Ask Billy on lostn51, don't know if he knows newer machine but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I have an FW and 306 so they"re pretty realible! In fact i just started using the 306 today....kinda made me nervous..those double slanted needle and cams,etc....

A friend of mine had that happen. When she took it to be serviced, he told her thread had gotten wound up and tangled in the tension area. Does the left side open so you can see where the thread goes when your threading the machine? If so, check to see if you have a birds nest of thread wrapped around something in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aully
    There has to be a computer reset button somewhere . . . Is the power button that turns it on a toggle type button or a push and spring back type button?

If toggle, like most, no help there.

Maybe if you hold the stop start button and count to about ten slowly, it will reset the motherboard memory.

On my non-Singer: I turn the machine off, hold the stop/start and another button down WHILE turning on the power switch/button.

Have you tried something like that yet?

The fact that the needle goes up and down by hand-turn means most of the gears/belts are ok.

Humm

Aardie.

see what happens if you unplug the foot petal and just use the start/stop button? I can only use that btton, but sometimes someone plugs in a foot and I get this same red light and nothing works.

Singers do have a habit of doing what your mashine has done if thread is stuck down under the bobbin case area. I would take out everything I could and look and also while it is apart as much as possible use your vacumm cleaner and suck it out even if you do not see anything. It could be the tiniest bit of thread stuck down in there. Do NOT use canned air to try to clean it out. That only pushes stuff further inside it. And Say a Prayer...God always helps me :)

Had this happen to one of mine and it was the belt. Hope that is not the cause though.

looks like it says start and stop
    Does it sew with a foot control on the floor? Unplug that and replug it in making sure it is in securely. What does it say under the red light? I can't make it out.
    looks like it says stop ans start

Guess you better hunt a singer dealer.

LOL nwm50, I would have whacked the dang thing a good many times by now!!!

I had one to do the same thing so i took the cover off where you have your wheel and found out that the belt was striched out got anew belt and she work fine.

Blog Entries
    My Pfaff did very same thing yesterday, I finally just tromped on the foot pedal a couple of times and it started sewing. Might be a short in pedal. Good luck! Costco is pretty good about returning things even after a year.

Hell everyone,
    I am very sad My Singer 4166 is frozen on me and I can not for the life of me figure out what is wrong with it. It won't sew anything the feed dogs won't even move. The red light will not turn off. I still have the instruction book there are NO troubleshotting tips. I took it appart and cleaned it out but it was empty. I am so confused any ideas anyone please.

I have so many swaps to get done soon, I really need my machine to be able too. :(

PLEASE I am begging/Crying out loud for HELP! Thanks!
    Sounds like what my Singer just went through. I took it in, and the repair man said that sometimes the belt slips off inside. Is it under warranty? He had to crack the case, fix the belt and put it back together, he had it four days and it's ready for pick up. I don't know if that's the answer, hopefully its something much more simple.

did you check to see if maybe you broke a piece of the needle off in it , i broke a needle once and the tip of it was jammed down in the machine and it wouldnt budge

are you plugged in?

just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarq
    There has to be a computer reset button somewhere . . . Is the power button that turns it on a toggle type button or a push and spring back type button?

If toggle, like most, no help there.

Maybe if you hold the stop start button and count to about ten slowly, it will reset the motherboard memory.

On my non-Singer: I turn the machine off, hold the stop/start and another button down WHILE turning on the power switch/button.

Have you tried something like that yet?

The fact that the needle goes up and down by hand-turn means most of the gears/belts are ok.

Humm

Aardie.
    Darn it, did Bill Gates have something to do with the sewing computer board...how many buttons did you say that you have to hold to reset...like Control, Alt, Delete.

Seriously though, make sure you have the proof of purchase, it you don't then you need to send a copy of serial number, receipt to Singer repair service center (through the 800 number)-hopefully they get the name, address, and everything correct. Take it to (or may have to send to repair center with a copy of your proof of purchase letter-which you need to get from singer).

Good luck, I know exactly what you mean, devastated. Even though I have others to use, I missed my Singer 7469Q so bad while it's been gone.

Can you google Sewing machine troubleshooting? There is a website where this really nice man answers questions, if he can't answer you from there, he asks you to call him so he can walk you through the fix. Just a nice man trying to help, but I can't remember the link. I found it on BING.com

Is it still under guarantee. Maybe you can return it and get them to check it out free. It is worth asking you dealer any way. Maybe the dealer knows a bit about the machine and will look at it for you. I don't have a Singer so that is all I can do for you. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    go to singerco.com then click on c'contace US" they have an 800 number you can call and talk to a real person. they can tell you what to do.

;) to wildyard response

I got the machine last year for my birthday in March from my boyfriend Brian. It is from Costco, The make is Singer and model numer is 4166. You can not disable the start stop button you just use the foot pedal to sew instead. I have taken the bobin area all appart and cleaned it, I have not oiled it lately. Maybe it got tired of me using it for the 2 hours straight. lol! I don't have anything magnetic aroung my machine just metal which are my sewing scisors. I have looked on the Singer website and they don't even have my machine on it, nothing in the forums either. I will try calling the 800 number tonight. I have been so stressed out with this that I have been sick with a migraine ever since. :( Thanks everyone for all your wounderful replys.
    sad to say, the ones from costco are numbered differently. they're still fine, but with different model numbers so even if you could email singer i doubt if they would know the real model number and it's hard to track down answers to problems. however, you'll never get an answer out of singer anyway. i'm still waiting for a reply to a message i left with them when i bought my garage sale find about three weeks ago. i vote for a repair man. it's always been my experience that no matter how simple it is, it costs more than it should, but what can you do? get an estimate first. sometimes you're better off putting the money toward a new one. especially if it's really frozen. btw, how come you're oiling a computerized machine? does it say that in the manual? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    btw, how come you're oiling a computerized machine? does it say that in the manual? just curious.
    Butterflywing - I know, sounds odd doesn't it? But I have a Bernina 730 and it needs oil, but only in one place, the place where the bobbin fits and the stitch is formed...I think it is called the "hook" or something like that. Guess that is because there is a lot of movement of metal parts while forming the stitch. Go figure 8-)

Blog Entries
    I have always gotten a reply from singerco.com. They have been good to me like that.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    btw, how come you're oiling a computerized machine? does it say that in the manual? just curious.
    Butterflywing - I know, sounds odd doesn't it? But I have a Bernina 730 and it needs oil, but only in one place, the place where the bobbin fits and the stitch is formed...I think it is called the "hook" or something like that. Guess that is because there is a lot of movement of metal parts while forming the stitch. Go figure 8-)
    you're right. that's the one place. never in the machine in any of my machines.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast