Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine Help please! >

Sewing machine Help please!

Sewing machine Help please!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 AM

ok here's my guess. Yes your machine has computer board. You see the screen where it shows the stich etc...That is driven by a computer board. When was the last time you oiled the machine. There is only one or two places on a machine with a computer board. My next guess is to disassemble the bobbin section of the machine. Sometimes thread gets caught where you never expect it. Take off the needle plate and inspect for any fuzz or thread around the feed dogs. Try shifting the wheel on the right back and forth for any movement. Last of all go on Singer's website and see if there is a forum about tips etc. You might get real lucking. If all else failes take it to a good Singer repair facility. Depending on how much you paid for the machine make a judgement call. Unfortunately, that is why most of us have at least one backup machine in a crisis. Good luck and let all of us know what happens.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM

How long since you oiled it?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned

google your machine and ask the manufacturer.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
Originally Posted by dakotamaid
If it has computer parts, turn it off and turn it back on.
No computer parts.
It surely looks computerized to me. They're testy buggers. If you bought it from a dealer, I'd suggest calling/visiting him. Since "sleeping on it" hasn't helped - nor any of the other suggestions - maybe a good round of cuss words and a kick. I'm just sayin'.............
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Hi,
On the picture, your Stop/Start button is red. That button is for sewing without the foot pedal. Make sure that it is off. Also, I noticed that your speed indicator is all the way on turtle. Try moving it to rabbit. That is all I have.
I took one of my machines back to the store,because the feed dogs would not come up. You have to turn the wheel to lift them. DUHHHH. I was soooo embarrassed.
If you live near a quilting store, you may be able to get a new set of eyes on it, especially if they happen to sell Singers. Shop owners and quilting customers are very helpful at times.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Does it work when pushing in the start stop button for sewing, or is it only when you have the foot pedal plugged in?

Also what is the "88" mode that you have it set on?

Were you doing Free motion prior to it stopping?

Take out bobbin case, could be thread inside of the case,
Oil the "wick" in the center of the bobbin case area. Do Not take the wick out....it looks like lint (white) so DO NOT TAKE IT OUT. A few drops of good sewing machine oil is all you need.

Also, what model is this machine can't tell from the photo?

I hope you try all of the suggestions and let us know how you are doing today.
Diana in TX
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I have a computerized one that says error and no repair man so far knows what to do to fix it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

It could be the belt has broken. If you can get the top off the belt will be easy to see. Don't take the wheel off or apart. It has to many maze parts that have to fit just right. Please post what it takes to get if fixed. I'm keeping a file on machine troubleshooting.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM

I would take it to a repair they probably won't charge you much maybe free this has happened to many of us I am sure (rather than break something else) leamelon
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM

I got the machine last year for my birthday in March from my boyfriend Brian. It is from Costco, The make is Singer and model numer is 4166. You can not disable the start stop button you just use the foot pedal to sew instead. I have taken the bobin area all appart and cleaned it, I have not oiled it lately. Maybe it got tired of me using it for the 2 hours straight. lol! I don't have anything magnetic aroung my machine just metal which are my sewing scisors. I have looked on the Singer website and they don't even have my machine on it, nothing in the forums either. I will try calling the 800 number tonight. I have been so stressed out with this that I have been sick with a migraine ever since. :( Thanks everyone for all your wounderful replys.