Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Machine Identification >
  • Sewing Machine Identification

• Sewing Machine Identification

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the print-out. I just may have to try that out - I love gadgets when I know what they are and how to use them!

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Here's a site with a scan of the instruction booklet for using the tucker or tuckmaker:
    http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/singertucker1.html
    Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM

If you like gadgets, you will love playing with this one! :) It's quite ingenious and as useful as a ruffler/pleating attachment.

I made some super easy floor-length caftan-like nightgowns using some good quality white muslin. No pattern pieces except for the neck facing, just the flat fabric.

I drew the keyhole neckline on the fabric, (I think I used a soup bowl) then marked off the area over the shoulders where the tucks would go and started making lines of tiny tucks about 1/4" - 3/8" apart. The tucks were long at the centerline and got shorter toward the selveges.

After the tucks were in, I sewed in the facing and cut out the neck opening. Turned and top-stitched, gathered about a 5" length at the center of the selvege edges to create the look of a cap "sleeve, sewed up the sides and turned a hem.

Just a few hours work and the nightgowns are still in warm-weather use three years later. The tucker added nice detail and tailored fullness to a flat piece of fabric.
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up - can you show a picture??

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    If you like gadgets, you will love playing with this one! :) It's quite ingenious and as useful as a ruffler/pleating attachment.

I made some super easy floor-length caftan-like nightgowns using some good quality white muslin. No pattern pieces except for the neck facing, just the flat fabric.

I drew the keyhole neckline on the fabric, (I think I used a soup bowl) then marked off the area over the shoulders where the tucks would go and started making lines of tiny tucks about 1/4" - 3/8" apart. The tucks were long at the centerline and got shorter toward the selveges.

After the tucks were in, I sewed in the facing and cut out the neck opening. Turned and top-stitched, gathered about a 5" length at the center of the selvege edges to create the look of a cap "sleeve, sewed up the sides and turned a hem.

Just a few hours work and the nightgowns are still in warm-weather use three years later. The tucker added nice detail and tailored fullness to a flat piece of fabric.
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Thanks for the heads up - can you show a picture??
    Not until warm weather shows up - right now the fleeces and flannels are out. ;)

But, here's a sketch:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-160322.jpe  
    Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM

When using this neat little tool, sew very slow. You can adjust it to gather or do tucks of any size. That is what all the screws are for.