Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Prices >

Sewing Machine Prices

Sewing Machine Prices

Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 AM

Kitty, I purchased the same machine (used) from the dealer in Champlin, MN. However, mine was 2 years ago from the original owner, Walt. I've been told that he did like to negotiate prices and really loved the interaction with the customers. When he passed away, his daughter took over, and it was a totally different story. She was all about the bottom line. The store has since changed hands again, and I have not idea how the new owner looks at negotiation. What I can tell you is that I love having a shop that is local for repairs, classes and the occasional supply.
I did a lot of research before purchasing and there is another sewing store nearby. When I started asking around, several people told me that they had purchased at that other store and wish they had purchased from the Champlin store instead, because of the customer service. Also, when your machine needs repairs or cleaning, it happens right there in the store. I hated the idea of my machine being sent off to another location with just a paper tag identifying it as mine.
Long story, short, second guessing your purchase will just make you crazy and suck the joy out of it. Close the door on doubt and move forward! Have a great day, Spring is coming!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 AM

I always think about any major purchase in terms of value. Take the amount you paid for it and figure out the return you will get from it. The first sewing machine i purchased with my own money was roughly $100. I then purchased about $50 in fabric and made curtain and window coverings for my entire home. After that first project my sewing machine was "paid" for in savings. What it would have cost me to buy manufactured curtains was probably double what i invested.

I even considered the same thing before i bought a table saw that rarely gets used. But, after the first project it paid for itself with the savings.

What you are going to make with that machine will more than pay for itself in time. Maybe not after your first project but it wont take long. Then it doesn't matter what you paid for it as long as you are happy in the end.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 PM

The other thing about buying a new machine is to consider the dealer you will have a long time after the sale to deal with. They can make or break the love of your new machine as time goes on. If you trust and have a good dealer, dont worry about whether you might have been able to save a few dollars elsewhere.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Glad you love your machine. Enjoy it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Some dealers will haggle, most won't.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM

If you love it and are happy with it - let it be. I too never knew that people negotiated sewing machine prices. Several years ago I purchased a top of the line serger at the "going price". Later I actually went to work for the same shop and was amazed at what the guidelines were for negotiations were. Next time you will be a bit more aggressive - meanwhile enjoy your machine !!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 AM

It often seems like manufacturers have very good prices at the big quilt shows. Plus, you get to test lots of machines in one place.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:51 PM
ro
Banned

sandygirl is right. just enjoy the machine. you already paid for it. so what's done is done. there's always goin to be someone who gets a better price. just enjoy!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
ro
Banned

as mention earlier in other posts the mfgrs. may offer good prices, you will not find these same machines at your dealers. and when something goes wrong, you have no one to turn to. you are responsible for shipping it back to mfgr. better to support your local dealer. they are who you go to for support. why not support them.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I bought a 6600 too, and I didn't really negotiate either. I bought it during the local quilt show so they already had a "special price" on it.

I may have gotten a better deal elsewhere if I really shopped around since I live in an expensive area, but I figured any extra costs wouldn't really be huge and are worth it to help keep the local dealer's doors open for when I have problems or questions.

Zero regrets. Love my machine and adore my dealer!
I second this!! The local dealer is the one that is going to be there to help, and supporting them with our purchases is well worth it, even if it is a bit more. The return in service and friendship is priceless.