Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine for quilting on unlimited budget >

Sewing machine for quilting on unlimited budget

Sewing machine for quilting on unlimited budget

Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Brother just put out a new line of machines for quilters with a much larger throat area. Check those out! I love my Brother machines! One of mine is over 35 years old and still works great!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 PM

just got the horizon 7700 and love it love the acufeed and the thread cutter the most and the 11 inch thoat plate.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM

I have the 830 but wish I could have the quilting frame and all the software for embroidery!!
Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
If money were no obstacle I would buy a Bernina 830, the Bernina quilting frame (which I have) and Quilt Motion! Then I could do everything my heart desires to do from embroidery to quilt assembly to quilting - long arm style - free motion or computer driven. I'd think I was in heaven!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 AM

I recently got the Pfaff QE4 and I am in heaven and in love! The extra light and 10" are great. I've been appliqueing, and doing a lot of fmq with absolutely no hiccups. This week I will be doing red decorative stiches on white fabrics because I'm working on a wedding gift and could not find suitable fabrics.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 AM

I have a Bernina 830 and just love it , I wouldnt part with it for the world
I would love the quilting frame but alas I have no were to put it , you cant go past
the things it can do , yes it is expensive but if you want the best , sorry it costs.
Cathy
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 AM

I was reading the answers here and wondering how many who recommend something other than a Bernina have actually worked with a B and had a bad experience? I have 3 Berninas gathered over 30 years and I truly love them. The only other I'd consider would be a Juki for FMQ. I was just wondering...you know how the mind can wander...
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by SandScraps View Post
I recently got the Pfaff QE4 and I am in heaven and in love! The extra light and 10" are great. I've been appliqueing, and doing a lot of fmq with absolutely no hiccups. This week I will be doing red decorative stiches on white fabrics because I'm working on a wedding gift and could not find suitable fabrics.
OMG that is exactly what I did for a quilt for my daughter. She insisted on red/white and there wasn't a lot of choices out there - especially for the neutrals - it is a log cabin. I had a Pfaff 7570, with a gazillion different decorative stitches and I used just about everyone. I used different red embroidery thread and I actually just ran out of the fabric leftovers for this quilt. Hope yours turns out as good and you are as happy as I was.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 AM

Default Money is no object

When I started this thread I really was interested in what other people would buy. I know what I would do. I'm told the 820/830 Bernina is not the one you'd want if you are a quilter. The 9mm feed dogs give problems at 1/4" I'm told. I did sew with a 9mm feed dogs and it was a problem, but not unsurmountable. I have a Juki F-600 and it is a great piecing machine. I'd have to look at the Horizon, etc etc etc!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 AM

Well, with the help of my three daughters, I just bought a Bailey 13" and Grace quilting frame. I haven't used it yet. Still a little nervous, having never machine quilted before, but it is now all set up and ready to go, except for the leaders. I still have to make the leaders for the rails. I know that the Bailey 13" isn't all the big, but it is all I could afford right now, so hopefully it will work out good for me.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 AM

I have both the Bernina 820 and the Janome Horizon 7700 and I love them both; however, if I could only have one and money was no object, it would be the Bernina.