Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking >

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by FlaGirl View Post
I have had a Bernina Activa 130 for years. It still works great but I would like a new machine. I have been looking at the Viking Sapphire 875 and Bernina 530. They are comparable in price but the Viking seems to offer so much more than the Bernina. I like the larger throat space on the Viking. Not sure about the absence of a presser foot lever. My Bernina has been so good it is hard to leave the name. All of the online searches seem to be showing people saying they love the Sapphire and I don't see anything about the Bernina. Wondering what opinions are out on the Board. Thanks for the input.
Was in same position a number of years ago. Do you have someone locally to service your machine? I had both Bernina and Viking stores in town so for me it came down to what could I get for my money and decided on a Viking and have had 4 Vikings as the feet you buy will feet the machines each time I updated.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Default Please stay with the Bernina

You have used the Bernina and you will not be pleased with another manufacture. If you have a Bernina dealer, your service, if needed, should be a breeze as Bernina dealers are required to have company trained service available. Nothing sews like a Bernina. I am sure the Viking you are to the Bernina 530 has more features, because they are different models. Yes, the Bernina cost more. Compare the Viking to the Bernina 830 and see the difference.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 AM

I have a Viking and I really love it. It does so much more than all the other machines I have. I don't think you will be disappointed at all if you by the Viking Sapphire 875. I would buy my Viking all over again if I had to.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM

Viking has not sold out to Singer--the same company owns Pfaff, Singer and Viking. Yes, Viking is now having its machines made in China. I have 2 Viking machines and a Viking serger--if we had a dealer in this area I would go with the Babylock/Brother machines. I have had a Viking since 2000 and I still miss having the presser foot lift.
Originally Posted by sueissewing View Post
I had a Viking and really loved it. Unfortunately, the feed dogs wore down and cannot be replaced. The place I took it (where they have repaired machines for many years) said that Viking has been sold out to Singer and is now made in China. The Viking feed dogs are made of aluminum vs Bernina's being made of steel. I now have a Bernina but sure do miss my Viking.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I have the sapphire 875Q and love it. i really like the auto presser foot, don't miss the lever at all
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Hi. I am considering a Baby Lock Grace. I have a Bernina 1260 and love it, but the only time it leaves my sewing room is when I have it serviced. I need a good machine that I can easly take to quilting classes and to my weekly quilting group sessions. Do you know anything about the Grace? It seems to have all I want, just want to be sure I don't get the wrong model. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM

I just want to say thank you to all the quilters that have taken the time to respond to my inquiry. It is really appreciated. Quilters are the best!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM

I just purchased a used Babylock Espire ( model right before the Symphony). Knock on wood, I am getting used to her and so far, I'm really liking her. I also have a Bernina Aurora 430. She is great, but the BL sews much more smoothly with far less noise. Good luck, it can be very hard to make a choice. I also went to our Viking HQ store and I so wanted like the Sapphire. Unfortunately, it immediately nested in the demo the dealer had me set up for. I felt badly, but it immediately turned me off.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM

I have the Bernina 440 and love it. Many new features keep appearing in the newer machines, trying to lure me to change.
I'm wondering if I should be happy with what I have. I certainly have no complaints about my Bernina 440.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 PM

What is a "solid foot" exactly?
Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
I wish I could take the best out of all machines and just make "the one" machine that would be perfect. That said what I think is really nice with Bernina is the solid feet. I sometimes feel the snap on feet have too much wiggle. I set 1/4" and it's somewhat accurate, but with a solid foot, it's very accurate. You'll have less headaches when you get a perfect either 1/4" or scant 1/4".