Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking >

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 AM

I have the Husqvarna Sapphire 875Q. I love it for many reasons. The large throat space, the pressure foot automatically lowers when you step on the foot control, I use the scissors features often, changing the upper tension is very easy (push a button), the pressure foot can rise to 2 levels, adjusting the speed at which you sew is easy. It just takes some getting used to having no handle to raise and lower the pressure foot, you press a button instead. I like being able to wind a bobbin thru the needle. You just must have a metal foot in place, when you wind a bobbin- no big deal to quickly snap one on. You can have the machine make a knot before it cuts your thread or disable this feature.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:13 AM

I have a Sapphire 830 (the lowest version), and I absolutely love it. What I really like: the needle up/down; the automatic pressure foot that will go down with a touch of a finger or a foot; the ability to lift the pressor foot just a tad if you need to turn, the large harp, and the decorative stitches that I use far more often than I thought I ever would, and wish that I had more. Yes, the feet are expensive; but I think I will always own a Viking, so I consider the feet an investment for the rest of my life. I live in Hungary, where there is no reliable Viking dealer, so my machine has never had a tuneup in the 6 years that I have owned it. I keep it well cleaned of lint, and it still sews like a dream. As soon as we move back to the States, it *will* get a tuneup! Love it, love it, love it! Carolyn
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM

I have a Bernina 550QE, with BSR, and a Pfaaf Quilt Expression 4.0. The Pfaaf has a bigger throat, 9mm stitch capability and IDT for even feeding. It has no presser foot lever....but I love to sew on it and it is heavy enough to handle the biggest projects without difficulty. My Bernina does have a presser foot lever, smaller throat, separate bobbin winding motor (love it!!). I switch back and forth between them, depending on the project, and it takes a few minutes to recall the presser foot action and then it becomes automatic. I also have an older Singer Futura, basic one, for embroidery and an old and basic Janome serger. I don't embroider or use the serger a lot so basic machines are perfect. No doubt though, there are times when a serger is the best thing since sliced bread! A test drive of the two machines should help you decide since even the finest machine isn't a perfiect fit for everyone.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 AM

I have the Bernina 550 QE. I love it the BSR came with my machine. Quilting with the BSR is wonderful. All stitches are the same size and the BSR makes the machine run by you just moving the material so you are in complete control. If you haven't had a trial run you should do it before you make your decision. Love my Bernina.
Mia
Old 08-08-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by FlaGirl View Post
I have had a Bernina Activa 130 for years. It still works great but I would like a new machine. I have been looking at the Viking Sapphire 875 and Bernina 530. They are comparable in price but the Viking seems to offer so much more than the Bernina. I like the larger throat space on the Viking. Not sure about the absence of a presser foot lever. My Bernina has been so good it is hard to leave the name. All of the online searches seem to be showing people saying they love the Sapphire and I don't see anything about the Bernina. Wondering what opinions are out on the Board. Thanks for the input.
If you have the option, stick with Bernina. I have the Sapphire, and having to punch a screen to control the presser foot drives me insane. I hate it. In my book, Viking doesn't even approach Bernina in quality. So here is one voice saying I DON'T love the Sapphire. And there's no comparing how fabric feeds through a Bernina to anything else.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 AM

I wish I could take the best out of all machines and just make "the one" machine that would be perfect. That said what I think is really nice with Bernina is the solid feet. I sometimes feel the snap on feet have too much wiggle. I set 1/4" and it's somewhat accurate, but with a solid foot, it's very accurate. You'll have less headaches when you get a perfect either 1/4" or scant 1/4".
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 AM

My son worked in a sewing machine shop for a couple of years and really raves about the Viking . He wants one for himself. Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Glad to see your response. I also have had a Bernina 830 Record for 40 years. It is a wonderful machine and I do a lot of sewing. It has lived in 5 or six states with me and in England. I am thinking about a new Bernina with the larger throat and a start/stop button, but I will always keep my old machine. I have had a Janome, and like it in many ways, but nothing compares to my Bernina.

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I have had my Bernina 830 Record for 40 years, bought a Bernina 440QEE which I am keeping and just bought a Bernina 750QEE. Guess which machine I prefer?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM

love the Babylocks too. my older Esante has better features than some of the more expensive Vikings. Check out the Symphony....great machine. will be ordering mine next month and keep my Esante as the embroidery machine.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM

I have a Viking 100 that I have had for close to twenty years. It does need a tune-up, but will still sew. It is a computerized machine. I also have an older Viking that my DD has and she has sewn slip covers.