Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine >

sewing machine

sewing machine

Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM

don't worry about the $400 machines being plastic inside, the $4000 machine are too.... if you want strong, stick with vintage, Pfaff, Viking, Bernina, Singers (but even older) Husqvarna, there are many older machines out there that were not used a lot and still have a lot of life in them.... pick up the machine, how heavy is it?...it is a good indicator of how much metal is inside, sew on it at the store and have thin, medium and heavy weight fabrics with you... do some stitches that zigzag, lots of straight stitches, make a buttonhole, .... how is the noise level? you want it fairly quiet but also how smooth-running does it sound? .... does it vibrate when running at high speed? now really look at that buttonhole....is it smooth on top? will it look better if you adjust the tension? most buttonholes and decorative stitches need the tension to go down one number to look really nice .... i have bought several machines in my lifetime and if they won't let you sew on the machine, you don't want it.... how many feet come with the machine? if you are happy with the way it sews and sounds then ask about any guarantee they offer for their used machines... and while buying, ask about any extra feet that come with it or that might be available... you will get the best deal on them at the time of purchase...
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM

I really am not qualified to give you a good response, but I can tell you that I have an older Viking that I truly love, if you could find one. Made in Sweden, 1982, excellent quality, and it's never been to the shop. A real workhorse. But you seldom see older used ones for sale. No one wants to let them go!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:59 AM

I think you should see if the dealer you spoke with has any used machines. A lot of people "trade up" and the shop has the gently used machines and they are refurbished. You can usually get a good machine for a fraction of the price. I bought my DGD a cheap machine at WalMart. She loves it but I don't. The foot petal is hard to get the machine to start sewing. You have to tap it several times to get it started. Then it is going too fast. It just isn't very responsive. I wish I had spent a little more and gotten a Janome machine for her. I'm thinking of getting a new foot petal for her. I don't want her to get fed up with the machine and give up on sewing.
Sue
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Do you do any other type of sewing beside quilting?
I want to be able to sew stuffed animals and other decorating kids of things. I tried my hand at clothes and I wasn't very good!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I think you should see if the dealer you spoke with has any used machines. A lot of people "trade up" and the shop has the gently used machines and they are refurbished. You can usually get a good machine for a fraction of the price. I bought my DGD a cheap machine at WalMart. She loves it but I don't. The foot petal is hard to get the machine to start sewing. You have to tap it several times to get it started. Then it is going too fast. It just isn't very responsive. I wish I had spent a little more and gotten a Janome machine for her. I'm thinking of getting a new foot petal for her. I don't want her to get fed up with the machine and give up on sewing.
Sue
I asked about the used machines and he said they are all junk!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 AM

I wish I had know Wal-Mart has a fairly good machine when I went looking. Oh well, I just didn't think of that.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

i bought the WM Brother CS6000i. I really like the machine. The stitches are tight. It is a bit noisy, but the price was right!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Personally, I think I would look for an old one...I've never owned a new machine, and from all I've read in the past from the board, I don't plan on buying one.. I have two 1926 machines.. all I can say about both, is that they hum.. Neither of them go reverse, or zig zag, but I've adjusted to it.. I have a 1974 Singer that also hums, and it does forward, reverse, and zig zag.. I also have a Singer in the closet that has cam, but haven't touched it. The thought of buying a machine with plastic gearsw doesn't thrill me..
Barri
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM

If you have a Tuesday Morning store near you they have a $500.00 Singer on sale for $199.00.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by hopingtobegood View Post
Ladies, sorry to disagree, but for someone that basically wants to do only straight stitching plus up to 100 decorative stitches, I strongly recommend the Brother machines from Wal-Mart at $199.00, not the 149 or 79 ones. The 199 ones have included a walking foot, a 1/4" ft, a quilting foot, quilting guide and many many embrodeiry (sp) foot attachments
inc luded in the 199 price. I have a top of the line Kenmore and Singer and they do not measure up to the Brother machines. They are not the fancy Bernia, Phaff, Janmome, etc, but for a beginner, they are wonderful and truly a great investment. I have three of them different amenities, (only because I have two different living houses)but all
are quality, dependable and truly workhorses. I agree the experienced and real quality quilters have better machines but until a newbie gets really advanced the Brothers are the best bet for the money....no offensive, just a different viewpoint to consider....
I agree with you completely, I have had the brother machines, even refurbished ones with the plastic gears for years and they work awesome, for a novice quilter who is not doing it professionally they are perfect for the price and they can upgrade later and use those for classes. I have purchased from walmart, a refurbished from overstock, and all are working fine. I even have one that I gave to my MIL almost 20years old that she has been sewing on like crazy, and yes it has plastic gears, never been in the shop. My refurbished one is over 5 years old, never been in the shop. I just got the one from walmart a few months ago, but like I said have had cheapo brothers for years, never been in the shop.