Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine >

sewing machine

sewing machine

Old 11-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Question sewing machine

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my sewing machine- the one that was bogging down. A gear that moves the feed dogs is broken. I thought I was going to get so much sewing done today since my mom took my kids and my mother-in-law was coming over to help me. Both of my old machines are broken. The Singer Stylist 534 has a broken gear $75 to replace and my Montgomery Ward Signature machine kept breaking the thread $49.95 for the shop to recalibrate to settings since we couldn't figure it out. After I dropped off my machines, I went machine looking. So here is my question do i need to think about investing in a new machine? I looked at Wal-Mart and a local sewing machine shop. Wal-Mart did not have anyone in the craft department for me to ask questions. The Sewing machine shop had Janome 7330, Janome dc1050 and some other models. The guy helping me said that any machine under $400 has plastic gears that will break the first time I hit a bump. I want to be able to sew straight stitches, but be able to quilt/sew a variety of thickness and possibly some decorative stitches. Should I shop for another machine or fix my old ones and make due?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:21 PM

You can get a trusted vintage machine for less than what you'd pay for repairing your two machines. I would never buy a machine, that you want to last, via Wal Mart. Go with a vintage machine that can do decorative stitching like a Singer 401 and you won't be sorry.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Or...I have an older Bernina that has been a workhorse! It's the 1008, just took it in for it's first trip to the "doctor" in fourteen years....the only problem I had was that the casing that holds the bobbin in broke a very small screw and I didn't have one to replace it with. Also had one of those straight pins with a white plastic head on it that got buried in the footfeed area...but it kept on going! Don't think that would happen on one of the newer ones...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:21 PM

I would stick with a dealer. You may find a refurbished machine at a lower price. It would be a better machine with more features for less money. I would avoid buying a sewing machine at Walmart.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Do you do any other type of sewing beside quilting?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Ladies, sorry to disagree, but for someone that basically wants to do only straight stitching plus up to 100 decorative stitches, I strongly recommend the Brother machines from Wal-Mart at $199.00, not the 149 or 79 ones. The 199 ones have included a walking foot, a 1/4" ft, a quilting foot, quilting guide and many many embrodeiry (sp) foot attachments
inc luded in the 199 price. I have a top of the line Kenmore and Singer and they do not measure up to the Brother machines. They are not the fancy Bernia, Phaff, Janmome, etc, but for a beginner, they are wonderful and truly a great investment. I have three of them different amenities, (only because I have two different living houses)but all
are quality, dependable and truly workhorses. I agree the experienced and real quality quilters have better machines but until a newbie gets really advanced the Brothers are the best bet for the money....no offensive, just a different viewpoint to consider....
Old 11-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Oh , so sorry about your machines!! I agree I would stay away from a machine from walmart. Stick with a dealer for either a new machine or a good used one.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM

I doubt if anyone who works at Walmart can tell you anything about those machines unless they own one and have used it. I have the Brother cs6000i that I bought online at Walmart.com for $199 about three years ago. It's awesome! The only problem is that the harp space is too small to do the quilting on anything but a small quilt. Research any machine online before you buy. You should be able to find out the details and what all comes with the machines. AllBrands.com has a lot of info on Brother and Janome machines. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 PM

I am sticking with the vintage machines, tired of the plastic stuff. although I have been told (by a sm repair guy)brother is the best as far as buying off the shelf of walmart
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM

I bought the Brother CS9050 recently at Wal-Mart. The harp space is small but, it has 100 stitches , 9 buttonhole stitches,great selection of feet including, walking foot, 1/4 seam foot, quilting foot, and quilting guide. I've really enjoyed it. I got it for $199. It may not last forever but, for now it is what I can afford.