Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine table >

Sewing machine table

Sewing machine table

Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sunlover
Originally Posted by gailmitchell
My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.
Who irons anymore? I hang my stuff the minute it comes out of the dryer and I never (rarely) iron anything anymore. Am I the only one?????????
I only iron fabric. that's it.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:30 AM

I agree with kquilt. I iron as well. However, I iron when I get ready to wear the article. I just can't stand to wear something with wrinkles. I do not care if you hang it up straight out the dryer, it still has wrinkles.
I also use my iron a lot when sewing.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I read somewhere that the height should be adjusted to the individual user. It's height from floor to arm-height (bent at a 90 degree angle) or a little lower. If it's higher, the sewer tends to pull up on the shoulders and tightening the muscles. ....and yes, my table is way too high. sigh
Yes...And I go through that all the time. My shoulders are always tight and sore the next day if I've sewed for a very long time. I've been also having trouble lately from my elbows to my fingers going numb & tingly.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 AM

I worked for years in a sewing factory. Each machine had a different function so different heights were necessary, however, for stitching as we do while quilting, typical height is between 26 to 29 inches. Sit with your back comfortably straight (don't over do it), your hips and knees at 90 degree angles. Next hold your elbows slightly above or below a 90 degree angle. where your wrists lay will give you a pretty good idea of height. If you DH builds with wooden legs, have him make it a little taller than what you think you need, that way you can sew on it for a few days and he can always shorten the legs easily.

If your shoulders hurt and you find yourself stooping over at the neck, it is too short. If your shoulders hurt because you are having to lift your hands hight (elbows at wrong angle) than it is too tall.

Also, a cheap chair from discount store that adjusts height would be great. Some days you need a little height, some days you may want to be a little lower.

Hope this helps sorry so long winded.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:43 AM

If you get your cutting area too high you can always stand on something but if its too short, you are right back where you started from, putting things under legs. I would much rather have it higher than I need. As for ironing, I still iron, like that crisp look and no wrinkles. Taking them out of dryer which I don't use often, just isn't good enough, no ironed arms and even the body doesn't have that crisp look. To each thier own I guess on everything including your cutting table. Whatever works for you.

Rita
Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 AM

Well thats a duh, must have been looking at this with old eyes. I thought we were talking about cutting lol... Oh well that one is a good question, I have a old tread machine base that my hubby made a top for, its beautiful. But it gives me a pain in the neck. So apparently I don't have mine at right height. By the way cutting table isn't either, I keep adding under legs, but just haven't gotten it right.

Rita
Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Banned

I too iron everything. I have loved to iron ever since I can remember.

Maybe that is why my neck and shoulders hurt so much when I sew for any length of time. I'll have to check the height of my table and machine. I bought a sewing table from Overstock.Com and I just figured it was the right height. {daaahhhhhhh} Live & Learn. Isn't life great???
Thanxs to all
Bev
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Count me in as an Ironing Diva! I iron sheets, pillow cases, tee shirts for myself and many other items that are very time consuming. However, I love to iron. It is a very rewarding activity for me.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM

I agree with you Madquilter. I am short and could never figure out why I was tired and sore until my SIL told me that my table was too high. Tonight,I am picking up a used IKEA desk that had adjustable legs adn am looking forward to using it.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM

I agree with you Madquilter. I am short and could never figure out why I was tired and sore until my SIL told me that my table was too high. Tonight,I am picking up a used IKEA desk that had adjustable legs adn am looking forward to using it.