Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing obligations vs. what you really want to do >

sewing obligations vs. what you really want to do

sewing obligations vs. what you really want to do

Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 AM

I have sewed all my life for myself and others. Recently I decided I didn't want to do that anymore. Now when someone asks me to sew for them I just tell them I wouldn't have time for X amount of days and then I give them a name of someone that wants to sew and does it for a living. I have found that sewing for others is not fun anymore and does not pay enough to make it worth while.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM

What a wonderful wedding gift your quilt will be. Be certain to show us a picture. I too have trouble completing quilts that I've started for others. I've decided to committ a certain amount of time EACH DAY to working on them. (I'm still working on keeping that committment!) Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM

I never commit to a deadline. Because of physical limitations, a deadline would add a lot of stress and I just don't need that in my life. Also, my quilting mission is donation quilts for those having chemo and/or dialysis and wounded or injured military and those always take priority over anything else I may be doing. I tell everyone that, too. Smiles.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM

I will never quilt for money. Don't need the stress and hate deadlines. I get that at work everyday. Quilting is a wonderful and creative outlet for my time 'away' from work, so I'm afraid taking commissions would totally ruin it for me. I have a dear friend that is always hinting that she is waiting for her quilt. I explained that all the grand kids and grown kids get one first, then I will make her something. I also told her it was not going to be a bed size quilt, because few people actually use quilts for covering now days, and as I hand quilt, it takes me almost a year to complete one that is bed sized. When the time comes, I will quilt her a nice wall hanging or perhaps a lap throw. I don't tell any of the grand kids they are getting a quilt, because I don't want to feel obligated and then place myself under a time limit.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
It's so hard to say no to long-time friends and relatives. I've been asked to do two t-shirt quilts. I've never made one. Some one suggested asking them to work along with me. We'll see.
I don't know about you but to me, the only thing worse than "having" to do something is having someone "help" me. Maybe it's just me... I'm an only child so I like to do things solo... unless it's my idea to work as a team. I'm a real witch, aren't I? LOL!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Caswews View Post
I used to make Rabbits and they were so adorable with their expressive faces. Each rabbit was 24 inches long for Mom & Dad the babies varied in sizes, each rabbit had clothing and a hat to special order. I would charge 50.00 for a adult rabbit pair (24" size) and add 10.00 on for each child. A aunt in law took a famliy of 5 to sell to a friend of hers. When she brought me back the 25.00 as she told me that wasn't worth the money I was charging and that is what she took from the woman, I was floored. I have not made anything to sell since then, my daughter asked me to make some for the granddaughters; and she asked if she can start selling them-would I make families again? I will just make for the grands -and maybe a friend of theirs .. Too much time and material involved I think ..
You're kidding, right? OMG! Talk about gall!!!! I fervently hope you never spoke to her again! The nerve! That just burns my biscuits! That's awful!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 AM

When I make something for others, I get it done and before I start another, I try to get something I want done too. Than I feel like I am still enjoying my "hobby" yet my "Job" too. I also find myself liking the project for a customer as much as for my self.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 AM

When people ak me to sew or do alterations outside the quilting realm, my answer is "would you ask Picasso to paint your house?"

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
How about when the fact that you quilt means you should also be available for everyone that wants clothes made, or something mended or hemmed??? I CAN do it all but DONT WANT to!! I also make purses for a change, but if someone wants one, they can pick from the ones I have done at the time...If I took orders and had to produce on a schedule, I wouldn't want to do it at all!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
How about when the fact that you quilt means you should also be available for everyone that wants clothes made, or something mended or hemmed??? I CAN do it all but DONT WANT to!!
The yeah you sew, it shouldn't be a problem for you. First, I DON'T make clothes. You can buy them cheaper than the material most time.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I don't know about you but to me, the only thing worse than "having" to do something is having someone "help" me. Maybe it's just me... I'm an only child so I like to do things solo... unless it's my idea to work as a team. I'm a real witch, aren't I? LOL!
Oh, Burchquilts, I think you're my sister from another mother!! It's not just you. Those are my sentiments exactly and, yes, I'm an only child, too! I don't even join swaps...that would be a deadline and I don't do deadlines anymore! I don't offer to make anything for anybody even my children & grand,children. As someone else said if I want to make them something, I'll keep it to myself until it's done. Years ago I made almost all my own clothing, sewed for other people and was a partner in a craft business doing sewn items and I came to hate sewing. I even quit for a few years. When I came back to sewing, I vowed to make only want I wanted to, when I wanted to, and no self-imposed deadlines. And now that I'm retired I'm even more intent on adhereing to that vow. "Read, sew, eat, repeat." The perfect motto!!