Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing with OTT Lights fatiquing on eyes? >

Sewing with OTT Lights fatiquing on eyes?

Sewing with OTT Lights fatiquing on eyes?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:07 PM

I have to take the globe off of our ceiling fan and have only an ugly bulb showing so I can see anything in my room! It could be how your pupils are dilating with the Ott lite lights? DH just had to get glasses with a slight tint in them because his pupils are not dilating in certain fluorescent lighted areas and he was getting migraines. No more with his new glasses :0)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM

I've used "daylight spectrum" lamps for several years & have 3 floor lamps. I find when I'm getting tired, switching them on helps tremendously. I've even got one that clamps on & has a magnifier built in & use it often for fine, close work. I got all of mine online, from www.firststreet.com (formerly Techno Scout), as Ott lights were so expensive. In my sewing room (overhead light w/ fan) & in regular lamps where I read or sew, I use "Reveal" bulbs (slightly blue looking), to keep colors true. When you buy your lamp, be sure to buy an extra bulb; even tho they last a long time, they may be hard to find when you need to replace it.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 PM

i had never thought of it like that will have to check it out
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
In my 20x20 art and sewing studio I have 9 fixtures (3 bulbs each) natural daylight fluorescent bulbs. With no windows, I have perfect lighting night or day! Don't know how old you are, but when I was getting cataracts, the daylight bulbs showed all white as green. After surgery, the colors were perfect.
Correction: Not that it really matters, but there are 2 full-spectrum bulbs in each fixture. I bought a contractor case of bulbs from one of the home supply companies at excellent price - and they last a very long time and save energy.