Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sewing over pins

I try not to sew over pins, it breaks needles and harms the machine. Like someone else said, one of the few I accidentally went over broke the pin and it hit me in the forehead. Not worth it.

People who sew over pins have two eyes so they don't mind losing one...

I wear glasses ;)

I try not to sew over them. Today, however, I sewed a flower head pin to the fabric, I mean several stitches! Didn't even break the needle! Of course, I had to pick all the stitches out and get it....

Blog Entries
    Ditto all of the above so I quit doing it on my last quilt. I had already started drying out but had a 5" strip pinned, was tired and just wanted to be done. Pop goes the needle! The straight pin was inserted at a slant. The walking foot hates them too, I think. No, I quit. I will hand crank if I have a tight spot but that will be my exception.

I sew over my pins too. I always knew not too, but didn't know why until now. I remember running over a pin, it split and machine stopped. Could not find half of the needle when broke. The needle was in bedded in fabric but portion of the pin broke too. A piece of it was down in the bobbin case. I quit for the night. This usually happens if I'm getting to tired and not paying attention. So I watch myself now.

Blog Entries
    My mother was a seamstress,she taught me to remove the pin before sewing. :roll: I keep a magnet in a cup, gule on and place my pins in. That way if my fabric hits them they stay in the cap and not on the floor. :oops: I only have and old brother sewing machine. Happy sewing .

Someone who likes living by the seat of her pants? haha
    I think I'm very glad I have a good old Singer to sew with and I won't worry about any of these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the "official" answer is that we shouldn't sew over pins. even if your machine can take the lickin', hitting a pin can damage or break a needle. and, as somebody already pointed out, it's a serious safety hazard.

i'll give you three guesses who sews over her pins anyway. and she has two fancy shmancy machines.

i'll give you three more guesses who has gotten very good at digging bent pins out of the bobbin area.

three more to figure out who has knots in her stomach every time - wondering if this will be the time she has to take the baby into the shop.

:roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I dont have the budget to include needles,pins and repairs on the sewing machine,or ER fees,definetly not a dermatologist or optometrist. Lol Needless to say I dont sew over pins.

Blog Entries
    SAFETY FIRST!!!TRIPS TO THE ER REALLY CUTS INTO SEWING/QUILTING TIME!!! one time i decided to leave in the pins, was told at the sewing machine shop that my new viking was ok to sew over pins...needle hit one, needle broke, flew right up and hit me in the eye...no permenent damage but pretty scary occurance...now, i wear my glasses...and NEVER SEW OVER PINS! and the dealer no longer tells customers it's ok to do it either.

I do not sew over pins. I have computerized Bernina machines. I don't know if sewing over a pin can damage a machine.(?) (Maybe a question for your dealer to answer) But my concern has always been breaking a needle while sewing over pins. And thinking about a piece of the needle flying up and getting in my eye. Maybe I'm just being over caucious. :)
    I guess this would be an individuals decision whether to or not to sew over needles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebee
    Thank you ladies....I think I will take Amma's advice and not take the chance. The machine does everything but salute me when I sit down, so I am not going to chance it. thanks
    I was told I could sew over pins, but I wont take the chance either. Could mess up the timing and also blunts needle.

I try not to, but I didnt know it could hurt a computerized machine, good to know!

Years ago I sewed over pins with no trouble. Nowdays the machines have plastic and such and it can be costly to sew over pins. Sometimes I pin but take it out before I get right there.

I have a QC 1000 from Brother and I sew over pins (very thin) most of the time. If your machine adjusts automatically for different thickness of fabric you should only run into trouble when the needle actually hits directly on a pin while sewing. This has happened to me once in a blue moon. Slow down when reaching a pin to adjust and you should have no problems. I have been using this same machine for 3 years now. Also, make sure to read your instruction manual. :-D

I tend to remove my pins just as I come to them. However, sometimes I miss one or two and then sometimes when I do sew over them I break my needle, I have a Bernina 180 so I would say do NOT sew over your pins.

I always remove the pins - when I had my old kenmore, I think I would sometimes sew over pins but now I have 2 babylock computerized machines and I don't want to take that chance

I did in the past, and bent a few pins. Now I stop and take them out. I worry that something will hit me in the eyes.

When I learned to sew in home economics(a hundred years ago lol), we were TAUGHT to sew over pins. I believe the Singer machines at that time even advertised, "will sew over pins". In recent years it has become a NO NO, and I have heard it can harm the machine.

Margie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    I keep a magnet in a cup, gule on and place my pins in.
    For the newbies: remember not to put any magnets close to a computerized machine. Otherwise this is a great hint.

I was told that also.

I have a Brother machine...and I hate to change the needle so I never sew over pins..learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by sheilainoz
    I actually was told I couldnt/shouldnt use interfacing as backing on my embroidery because it would damage the machine .. funny cause its also a sewing machine so how come I can use it in collars and such but not with embroidery.. Me thinks there is a lot of myths going around :)
    Me thinks your right. I would swear that I was told to use interfacing on embroidery to hold it better. I think I'll keep using the interfacing but sewing over a pin is not an issue for me.

this is what i do..when i get really close to the pin..i slow down and since i have a bernina i use needle down position and as i get there i quickly pull the pin out,,if i stop thats ok..the needle is down and i wont lose my place...

Blog Entries
    I would not sew over the pins, voice of experience, I sewed over pins until I hit one and it ruined my bobbin case. I don't sew over them any longer. I also have a Janome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast