Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one? >

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:50 PM

One thing to know about the older model Berninas is that parts are getting scarce and they are not making new parts. This is for the older machines, I know that they are still making parts for the Artista series and newer.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 PM

I love my Janome 6500 that I purchased from a friend who was getting the Horizon.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

I have 3 vintage machines: treadle, featherweight, class 66 in a cabinet. Plus two other older machines and a "dinky mechanical Brother" which is my go to machine. All the other machines work fine and it is fun using the featherweight and the treadle, but, I always go back to the Brother cheapy version. It is over 10 years old and has sewn through anything and I can FMQ with it.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 PM

I have 15 machines; some new, some vintage, all loved (except for that pesky Janome 6600P which I fall in and out of love with on a regular basis) and all used, some to a great extent, others not so much. I have a Bernina 1008 (purchased new) and she was my workhorse until she laid down on the job and requested to go see her doctor. I guess years of quilting wore her out and she needed a rest. Before that, I wore out a Singer Athena 2010 (she's just resting, as well....), and since those two decided to have a vacation, I started collecting them, in self-defense (sounds good, anyway...) to protect myself as I work in my business...have to have a working machine, don't you know!
Anyway, one Janome 6600P, Viking Platinum, Singer Quilter's Confidence, Featherweight, couple of 127's and three or four other vintage ones as well as a Gammill longarm, and I feel like I'm set! Hope that helps! Oh, I forgot the CH 99, the Babylock serger and the Singer 301...and the regular 99 I have...that's all folks!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 PM

I'm just learning the FMQ part of quilting and love how my Brother NX 2000 Laura Ashley handles it- so easy and so user friendly. I have a small Bernina 380 but don't use it much since I got my Brother. I love, love, love my Brother machine for everything I stitch.

I agree with morelcabin that your dealer and service are so important. I love the dealer I buy from. She is knowledgeable and backs up her products.

Good luck finding the machine that you love as much as I love mine.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM

I have an Janome sewing/embroider machine because it is soo easy to use. New but able to figure out how to use it. I love the way it sews and so far have no problems with anything. I hums really nice and makes the big embroidery patterns.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM

I have a Bernina 830. I've had it for about 4 years. I did my research and was stepping up in the embroidery world (larger sewing field)and wanted something that I could quilt with too. Getting the Quilt Frame as a "freebie" was a big plus for me. That being said...my machine does not sew like a high end machine. I have had nothing but problems with it from the get go. Its not any BIG thing..its just a whole lot of little things. It may sew fine one time and be as sloppy as all get out the next. I've had it worked on by 2 different dealers..but feel I'm not getting my point across as to what the problem is. And to top it all off Bernina came out with the LE edition before the problems with the 830 were dealt with so I feel I was jipped. Its just frustrating...I love my machine..sometimes...feel like I have a gremlin living inside it other times. Its so bad that I've almost given up on embroidery...and I LOVE machine embroidery..
Old 05-27-2012, 10:10 PM

I have had a Bernina 1530 since 1997 which is my travel machine. It is a workhorse of a machine and 2 years ago I bought a Bernina 830 for my retirement gift to myself. It took me awhile to make friends with it but I now love it!! Computer machines have a learning curve and they are particular!!!! I bought Bernina because several quilters on TV used them and I have never been sorry for buying this brand.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:23 AM

I have a 1992 Bernina 1530 that I dearly love for FMQing. It was given to me by a friend (she inherited it from her Mom) that doesn't sew.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 AM

I have a Janome 2032, a brilliant basic machine but come November I am hoping to get a Janome Horizon 12000 for my fourtieth wedding anniversay. Can't wait.