Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one? >

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I have a 35 year old Kenmore, which was then labeled as "Sears Best." Have been very happy with it, until recently. Probably just needs a good servicing.
My "baby" is a Janome Horizon 7700QCP. I was drawn to it, because of the 11" harp. After reading specs, numerous reviews and seeing it, in person, I was hopelessly in love with it. Still am! :-)
I'm now considering a Brother CS6000i, to teach my DD and DGD, to sew. Just not quite ready, to let beginners use my Janome . . . and would like to teach them, on a machine they can take home with them.
Nessie,
I have the brother CS6000i and I love it! Does everything I need and the price was fabulous. I will warn you though if it's going to be a travel machine it may not be the best. I did read some reviews and the computer part is super sensitive and there is no handle attached. For a home machine it's awesome though!!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM

I have a husqvarna viking quilt designer 2, recently bought a topaz 30, and I love them both the quilt designer was also made in Sweeden and the topaz was sweedish engineered. I did not purchase the embroidery module for the quilt designer so when I looked at the topaz I decided that was the answer it has a larger throat for quilting and does a wonderful job at embroidery. I would buy Husqvarna viking machines again.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM

I just purchased a BabyLock Jane and love it! I didn't want anything with a lot of bells and whistles- easy to use and a deep throat and not cost me an arm and leg (it was more than I wanted to spend at first, but I am glad I purchased it). It cost me $800

the instructor shared with me she has one and puts it on rails to quilt- I want, in the future, to purchase a HQ sweet 16 to bring in retirement money-so that news was a bonus.

If you are looking for a simple, workhorse- I recommend this . if you like various stitches and other bells, this won't fit your qualifications.

I'm really tickled with this purchase!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM

I am new to Quilting but have been sewing since childhood. I have a Singer 401A slant shank machine. It was made in 1956 which makes it 13 years older than me. I have sewn all sort of fabric and no machine quilting yet but multiple layers of fabrics. My DH got caught sewing leather on it and it is still kicking. It is all metal and has taken much less to maintain than my friends machines over the years. I had considered getting a newer machine now that I have the time and space to tackle quilting, but after lots of research decided to stick with mine. It has many different stitches built in It also has top hat cams for special stitches, but in all my projects over the years have very seldom used them. I love it and have realized through all my research that it was my first machine and has so many memories that there is no way I could part with it. When my grandmother bought it new it was the top of the line and she made a very wise purchase.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM

I've had a Bernina 160, 180, 440, 820 and 550. I still have the 180 ( my travel machine) and the 550. The only one i didn't love was the 820. It had to babied and I don't have the patience to baby a sewing machine.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a Bernina 830 and at first had lots of problems but took it in, finally, and had it worked on, and now it works great. It does embroidery also. It's kind of high end. I also have a Viking Huskavarna Quilt Designer that has never given me any problems, ever. And I just bought a Singer 99K. I love all three of them. I've heard great things about the Pfaff machine and Janome.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM

You know buying a machine is kinda like buying a car. You always get what you pay for. I wish I could go out and buy a new machine since I have sewn my 1222 Pfaff to death. Well she still sew but her on off switch fell into the body years ago and now the foot control cord has come out of the machine so basically I need a new machine I currently am sewing on a 7570 that belongs to my BFF and a Singer 301. So I do manage to keep sewing. But list the functions you need or want. A built in needle threader, and built in walking foot are two things I really like and then having a hands free function to raise the presser foot is really great. Do you want to just sew or are you going to explore embroidery? Take the time to think about these things then try some of the different machines out. You will find your love me I dream of the new Bernina 830's they have it all incredible machines! but then you need a machine just to take sewing which my 301 is perfect for that. Good luck shopping machines truley are an investment.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 PM

I have a Janome Horizon 12,000. Brand new. Has an 11" throat space. It's my 3rd Janome. Still have all 3. One is for sale.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM

I have a Janome 10001. I upgraded to it from a Janome 9000 and still love it after 5 years. I rarely embroider on it, but love to quilt on it. I love the 1/4" foot, as well as the wonderful stitch quality. If I had to buy a new machine now, I would got right back for another Janome. Maybe the 11000 because I'm not sure the bugs are worked out of the 12000 yet.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
You are right. SVP makes Singer, Viking and Pfaff. Singer has been junk for many years now. I have heard many complaints about the others, too, and I'm sure the quality is not what they used to be....same as just about everything everything else we buy. Janome makes their own as does Bernina, and Brother company makes Brother (of various qualities) and Babylock, to different specifications. I have had good luck with the latter three, some folks may disagree. Buying from a reliable dealer is most important.

i recently had a very good conversation with the shop owner of where i am buying my viking tribute (btw, i have a viking 350, a babylock ellure for embroidery, a featherweight, a singer red eye treadle that needs to be rehabbed, a spartan that needs rehab and a 99K that also needs rehab).

ANYWAY, my dealer told me that pfaff guts were now identical to the vikings---that many of the MECHANICAL (not computer) parts are interchangeable. the hubby did some research--the viking parts are still made in sweden, but shipped to China for assembly. i liken SVP to GM or Porsche--GM makes GM vehicles, Chevys and Cadillacs, Porsche owns Porsche, Audi and volkswagon. all price ranges. same thing here, i believe