Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one? >

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Sewing / Quilting Machine ....which one?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
Yeah, that's a GREAT idea, to charge yourself ...........for saving up for a new machine! Might have to try this!,,,,
The only problem? I can't afford me!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
I have a Janome 10001. I upgraded to it from a Janome 9000 and still love it after 5 years. I rarely embroider on it, but love to quilt on it. I love the 1/4" foot, as well as the wonderful stitch quality. If I had to buy a new machine now, I would got right back for another Janome. Maybe the 11000 because I'm not sure the bugs are worked out of the 12000 yet.
What are the "bugs" you refer to in regard to the Janome 12000?? I am a Janome gal 100% "no questions" asked because I just love Janome. Are there issues with the new 12000??
sandy
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 AM
Banned

My workhorse is a Bernina 1030 - I love this machine

I also have a Jem Gold for classes and a Jem Platinum in my quilt room that I use daily. Like both of them alot and neither is expensive. If I had to choose one I'd go for the Platinum - needle down function + you can select different stitch lengths and MOST important has a setting for a scant 1/4".
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 AM

I'm now using a Brother HS-2000 & I love it, but the throat is too small for a quilt larger than a lap robe. I am now saving for the Brother Laura Ashley special edition Innov-is NX-2000 which was designed especially for quilters & I don't need anything more than what comes with it. No buying another walking foot or whatever. Even comes with the extended table that's removable. It can play with the big girls! I'm halfway there & when I get it, I already have a quilt to put it to the test on!! An over-sized queen. Do your research, pay attention to customer comments, check on-line & then in dealer store & know what you're getting for the price.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 AM

[QUOTE=kiffie2413;5246775]I have a Brother PQ-1500 that I actually purchased to use for fmq only..But I notice I use it a lot for piecing, and regular sewing, too It has a pin-feed system that makes piecing a breeze! It is all metal, and does straight stitch only...has knee-lift, auto thread cut, and a 9" harp. "
This is what I have too. LOVE IT! great FMQ and fore peicing. I paid $600 for it from Amazon with no shipping or taxes. Do a "test Sew" on several machines and see which one you like best. I also have a Singer Quilter that is alright for peicing but not for FMQ due to smaller stroat and no presser foot tension adjustment. However I like it for attaching binding with fancy stitch.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by RkayD View Post
I have a Bernina 830. I've had it for about 4 years. I did my research and was stepping up in the embroidery world (larger sewing field)and wanted something that I could quilt with too. Getting the Quilt Frame as a "freebie" was a big plus for me. That being said...my machine does not sew like a high end machine. I have had nothing but problems with it from the get go. Its not any BIG thing..its just a whole lot of little things. It may sew fine one time and be as sloppy as all get out the next. I've had it worked on by 2 different dealers..but feel I'm not getting my point across as to what the problem is. And to top it all off Bernina came out with the LE edition before the problems with the 830 were dealt with so I feel I was jipped. Its just frustrating...I love my machine..sometimes...feel like I have a gremlin living inside it other times. Its so bad that I've almost given up on embroidery...and I LOVE machine embroidery..
I also have the Bernina 830 and for the first 2 years had many problems with it. Felt I was ripped off. Then I started using Gutermann cones and my machines runs like a dream. No more problems. It doesn't like the spools. I ordered a couple of different brands of cones to try and hopefully they will work well, also. But it was just the thread all along. I am one happy camper now!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I also have the Bernina 830 and for the first 2 years had many problems with it. Felt I was ripped off. Then I started using Gutermann cones and my machines runs like a dream. No more problems. It doesn't like the spools. I ordered a couple of different brands of cones to try and hopefully they will work well, also. But it was just the thread all along. I am one happy camper now!!!
Who would have thought that just changing the kind of thread used in the machine would make such a difference?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 PM

I have a Bernina 440. I purchased the Bernina instead of the Janome 6600 because Bernina was offering a good close out price with free interest for a year and the price included the stitch regulator (which I love). I'm sure I would have been happy with the Janome, which is a good deal less costly than a Bernina. It makes really nice stitches and that extra space between needle and motor housing REALLY makes a difference.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:12 PM

I've had several different brands of machines. I bought a Viking Rose on ebay. It was fine but I never learned how to embroider because the local folks didn't like it that I hadn't bought it from them. Buying locally and knowing your service department is important. Anyway, I did some research on FMQ. Bought the Bernina 440. I like it, but realized that I did want to do embroidery. Traded it in on a Bernina 580. I LOVE THIS MACHINE! Since then, I've bought the 1150 serger (what fun!), and now added the 330 for traveling. When you spend this much on a machine, take it in immediately if you have a problem. They have warranties. BTW, Bernina is coming out with a new line in the fall. If you live where the store takes trade-ins, they should have some great deals on used machines at that time.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mtteach101 View Post
I have a bernina aurora 430 which I love. I have an embroidery module for it also. Love my machine! It has only been in the shop for routine maintance, nothing has broken on it. My husband knew I wanted a Bernina and he bought this one as a surprise (years ago).
My husband surprised me with a Bernina 350 PE yesterday!! I'm so excited and can't wait to learn about it and use it!!