Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing or quilting shows on TV >

Sewing or quilting shows on TV

Sewing or quilting shows on TV

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 AM

"Don't get me started on this home demolition. Don't these fools know there are people out yonder who'd love their "OUTDATED" cabinets and fixtures?????????????? did they ever hear of the "ReStore" store? "

I guess they smash the cabinets, etc. to spark our interest and to show how frustrated the owners are with their old stuff but it is a shame. It is easier and quicker to unscrew the kitchen cabinets than to smash them and then unscrew them Old cabinets can be sold or in our case we put them up in our garage for DH's workshop and storage.

Does anyone remember when This Old House did projects on small houses? My DH learned a lot from those old shows. Now they only do huge projects remodeling entire huge houses and there isn't anything that the average homeowner can learn to do themselves as there are always 'experts' doing the remodeling. What every happened to Do It Yourself?

Last edited by May in Jersey; 08-02-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Don't get me started on this home demolition. Don't these fools know there are people out yonder who'd love their "OUTDATED" cabinets and fixtures?????????????? did they ever hear of the "ReStore" store?
I so do agree with you!!! When they start the demolition I'm thinking, you idiots, bring to the restore, advertise on craigs list, or your local paper!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 AM

I wish I could find a restore shop in my location. I did go to a restoration warehouse once and almost passed put looking at the prices. I do get a few ideas from these shows but who can afford a $80,000 kitchen and half million doll or patio. All these people worry about is "entertaining". Even when house hunters and other shows like this are on, they don't care about everyday living, it's how much room for entertaining friends. Screw those kind of friends. I will keep my friends who enjoy sitting around my kitchen table or my plain deck enjoying the simple foods we have with great conversation!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 AM

In my area, the local PBS channel airs a few shows on Sunday afternoons, like Sewing with Nancy, Fons & Porter, and Quilting Arts with Pokey Bolton. The only other channel I know of is RFD which shows Eleanor Burns.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 AM

Here in southern california all my quilt shows are on our local PBS channels, I record them on my DVR, and then play when I want to. Can fastforward thru the garbage and pause and rewind at will. Some I save, some I don't.....Wish there were more available. Getting a little tired of Fons and Porter....and I am sorry to say can only take so much of Eleanor Burns, but I do like her patterns and principle of making big and cutting down, so much easier then sewing it exact the first time.....
Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 AM

We have some on the create channel.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Swap Hosts

We have Verizon Fios so I am able to watch Fons and Porter and Sewing with Nancy -- and thanks to watching Nancy's shows on scarves, I won her scarf challenge!
I would love to watch Eleanor Burns but we don't have Rural TV.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 AM

Here in the DFW area our local PBS station doesn't carry any of the quilting stuff. We have Direct, but there's nothing there either, so I have to rely on the internet!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 AM

I've seen some, but rarely watch em, I spend enough time on here!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie View Post
I used to watch HGTV all the time when Carol Duval and Simply Quilts and a few others were on. Now I never go there!
Preach on, Grandma Bonnie. I've written to HGTV several times about this and have never received the courtesy of an acknowledgement that the letter was received. The househunting segments, with the bratty 20 and 30 somethings who have "only $650,000 in their budget" and who can't buy a house without gutting it and renovating because "it looks so 80's" have turned me off HGTV all together. Perhaps there is a demographic that appreciates those programs, but not among any of the people I know. froggyintexas

Last edited by FroggyinTexas; 08-03-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: take out an extra word