Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing or quilting shows on TV >

Sewing or quilting shows on TV

Sewing or quilting shows on TV

Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

PBS Satrudays starting at 8:00 and ending at 9:00 with a sewing or a quilting/sewing programs (right now its Quilting Arts) then Sewing with Nancy. I have just about stopped watching HGTV since they took Carol Duvall re-runs (as she left due to medical reasons I believe), Simply Quilts and a host of other good renovating shows off. Once in a while HGTV will have something I run upon when channel surfing. I used to love that show called:Trash to Treasures- it showed a good way to recycle unwanted items.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:58 AM

I agree with you... Alex Anderson's show was informative and was much easier to watch than using the computer! Really early in the morning DIY has a knitting show and I've even found Quilt in a Day on the rural tv network!!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Yes, on the TV I get them on PBS and RTV. I do like QNNtv online though. I can play the shows as I use my exercise bike. Makes the time go faster!!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 AM

Oops, I mean RFD tv not RTV. Sorry for the slip.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
Wish the DIY's and the HGTV would wise up! How many times in this economy can you stand to watch someone demolish a $60,000 bathroom, just to install a $70,000 bathroom. Do these people know they're millions of people out there that are losing their homes! What ever happened to shows like "Carol Duvall" etc.? I used to get quilting and craft shows on the BYU channel, but my cable did away with it.
You are so right!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM

Maybe we should bombard HGTV and ask for more of these kinds of shows. Do you think they would listen to us? Probably not - sponsers have to be obtained for these shows and probably don't generate income as do the other shows they have now. But we could try!!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
What channel on TV are the quilting/sewing shows? I can't seem to find any. They have everything else.
Oh, this is my big complaint, now that I've started quilting! My cable (Verizon) has no quilting shows currently. I'm seriously considering deep-sixing my cable, and this is just one of my reasons. Too many phony reality shows and other junk in place of quality home improvement shows, gardening shows and quilt shows....which seemed to be everywhere until I became a quiltmaker!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
"Don't get me started on this home demolition. Don't these fools know there are people out yonder who'd love their "OUTDATED" cabinets and fixtures?????????????? did they ever hear of the "ReStore" store? "

I guess they smash the cabinets, etc. to spark our interest and to show how frustrated the owners are with their old stuff but it is a shame. It is easier and quicker to unscrew the kitchen cabinets than to smash them and then unscrew them Old cabinets can be sold or in our case we put them up in our garage for DH's workshop and storage.

Does anyone remember when This Old House did projects on small houses? My DH learned a lot from those old shows. Now they only do huge projects remodeling entire huge houses and there isn't anything that the average homeowner can learn to do themselves as there are always 'experts' doing the remodeling. What every happened to Do It Yourself?
I LOVED the original This Old House. Loved Bob Vila! All home improvement shows now are filled with controversy, which seems to be what drives tv, period. Reality Renovations, in which couples argue over their mistakes; Room Trashers, or Yard Crashers or whatever! Or these house hunters walking through million dollar houses who complain about the brand new appliances because they are not all stainless or because the granite on the countertops is the wrong color! I guess there are viewers who like living that fantasy but it just irritates me. (getting off the soap box.....) ;-)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

I am blessed (cursed?) with 3 homes in different locations and the only one with TV is the one in a community where basic cable is part of the HOA dues. I do enjoy Turner Classic Movies but otherwise there are quilting projects, astronomy projects, music projects, book-reading projects etc.etc.etc. I haven't found any quilting shows but there is a LOT on the internet now. I also get the QATV dvd's when they're on sale -- a lot of the techniques seem silly or give results that I don't consider attractive but it is great fun to watch the craziness and I DO get ideas from them.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
Wish the DIY's and the HGTV would wise up! How many times in this economy can you stand to watch someone demolish a $60,000 bathroom, just to install a $70,000 bathroom. Do these people know they're millions of people out there that are losing their homes! What ever happened to shows like "Carol Duvall" etc.? I used to get quilting and craft shows on the BYU channel, but my cable did away with it.
I totally agree with every word you said. I never watch HGTV anymore. I really miss that lineup of shows including Carol Duvall too. I get a few shows on PBS on Sat. mornings, too, but only 2 quilt shows. Fons & Porter & Eleanor Burns. I could do without the others though.