Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Advise >

Sewing Room Advise

Sewing Room Advise

Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Put the large cutting table in the fabric room and have a small cutting table (ie. tv tray) in the sewing area or a smaller mat on the ironing board area.
Exactly what I thought, too. If you would want a bigger table in the sewing area, Wally World sells a nice size table (for laying out pieces) for under $30.00
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I need your advise. In my new house I have 2 finished rooms in the basement that will become my quiilting haven. My question is this....because one room isn't big enough for everything, I have to divide it into the 2 rooms. Right now I have my fabric in 1 room and everything else in the other.. I'm finding it a big cramped. so....would you move the cutting table (which is 70 x 35) into the room with the fabric or would you put up with the cramped space and have everything at your fingertips. I have my sewing/embroidery machine, my featherweight, my ironing board (which is one I made 23 x 48) I guess I'm trying to figure out convenience vs space. Thanks as always for your input. Wendy :)
My cutting table is 5' x 3' and is mounted in the corner of my sewing room. Right now my embroidery machine sits on top of a treadle stand. And my Janome is on a dining room table. All my fabric is in two closets, the spare bedroom closet has all my larger cuts of fabric and extra batting. The closet in my sewing room is getting a makeover this month. A dedicated place for my embroidery machine and some new shelves and drawer space. My ironing board is mounted on the wall and I have a standard size one also.

Embroidery machine and wall mounted ironing board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95584[/ATTACH]

cutting table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95597[/ATTACH]

Janome
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95599[/ATTACH]

shelf above my cutting table
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96092[/ATTACH]

extra ironing board w/ WIP and a dresser for all my patterns
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96159[/ATTACH]

more storage cabinets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96160[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95579.jpe   attachment-95592.jpe   attachment-95594.jpe   attachment-96087.jpe   attachment-96154.jpe  

attachment-96155.jpe  
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 AM

Congratulations on having a new home and what sounds like plenty of room for your quilting habit. Does either room have a window to the outside so that you have some natural lighting?

I'd keep two rooms; one to stay neat and orderly and one to leave everything out and "as is" when I wasn't working there. But a decision like this depends on personal likes/dislikes, physical abilities/disabilities, etc., that only you can know. These other quilters are giving you some great advice, and I'll bet someone will come up with a suggestion that works perfectly for you.

On Sept. 22, Annaquilts (one of the members here) posted pictures of her quilting studio that is "to die for," a perfect haven for a quilter. If you didn't see it, you may want to do a search to find it.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:18 AM

I have the same issue, two rooms. I have all my fabric and patterns/patternbooks in one room and everything else in the other, smaller room! I'm thinking a cutting table in the room the fabric is in will work better for me.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 AM

One thing about having 2 rooms...you'll get exercise walking back and forth. My sewing studio is in the basement (which just flooded due to sump pump failure). Don't put fabric or machines on the floor. I think you will have to play around with what works for you. I have a beautiful setup, but find that I have moved some things around because they didn't work the way I had originally planned. I would use the smaller room for storage and the larger room for your work room.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes it's a good thing to have a reason to get up and move around.

I think I would put the "storage" stuff in one area - and the "active" stuff in another.

I like to have my ironing board/surface available all the time. It's a big board - so I also use it as a cutting table a lot of the time.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I like the two room idea.I would put all of the stuff in that room that I don't use as often,like my acququilt and my table top ironer and alot of my craft fabrics that aren't used as often.Plus you have those extra walls for shelving.It is a good reason to get up and move around.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by erstan947
Put the large cutting table in the fabric room and have a small cutting table (ie. tv tray) in the sewing area or a smaller mat on the ironing board area.
My suggestion too :D:D:D
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
One thing about having 2 rooms...you'll get exercise walking back and forth. My sewing studio is in the basement (which just flooded due to sump pump failure). Don't put fabric or machines on the floor. I think you will have to play around with what works for you. I have a beautiful setup, but find that I have moved some things around because they didn't work the way I had originally planned. I would use the smaller room for storage and the larger room for your work room.
That's what I did too, I took the larger room and the one with 2 windows for my "work room" and right now I had to make the decision to live with things in a disasterous state in order to get going on my Christmas gifts. I hate working in confusion but it is what it is. How did you split up your 2 rooms?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM

Think positive. Think of the exercise you will get walking from one room to the other.