Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Advise >

Sewing Room Advise

Sewing Room Advise

Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 AM

I actually have this exact same layout. In the smaller room, I have the walls lined with shelves for my fabric (and yarn) stash) and I have a cutting table in the middle of the room. Right now the ironing board is in front of the window but I think it is going to have to go back into the other room. In the larger room, I have an old plank dining room table as my workspace, plus my sewing machine (in a cabinet) and a few other shelves for misc. supplies. It is a great set up for me.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by erstan947
Put the large cutting table in the fabric room and have a small cutting table (ie. tv tray) in the sewing area or a smaller mat on the ironing board area.
ditto
Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I'd knock out the wall.
LOL :)
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Not a good idea. Having two rooms allows for better organization and saves energy. The lights can be turned off whichever room you're not using.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM

If you don't want to knock out a wall, here's what I'd do. Get the hubby busy cutting out a doorway between the two rooms. That gives you easy access and you don't lose all the wall space you might want for fabric storage. It's also quicker, less expense, less hassle and less mess. And I WOULD put the cutting table in with your fabric. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chery from Mn
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Love my stash
If you don't want to knock out a wall, here's what I'd do. Get the hubby busy cutting out a doorway between the two rooms. That gives you easy access and you don't lose all the wall space you might want for fabric storage. It's also quicker, less expense, less hassle and less mess. And I WOULD put cutting table in with your fabric. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chery from Mn
OMG ROFLMFAO!!!!!! Well here's my story .. my "hubby" is my 85 year old MOTHER and my 2 rooms are not beside each other so there;s no knocking out any walls unless I take all the walls out of the basement and have just one big room. lolol this is so much fun
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 AM

I would stick to your original idea. Have the fabric and large cutting table in one room and the sewing area in the other. Makes for easier control of clutter and everyone knows working in a clutter free area is much better. Besides, you can save energy by having the lights off in the room not being used.
Fran in West Texas
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I need your advise. In my new house I have 2 finished rooms in the basement that will become my quiilting haven. My question is this....because one room isn't big enough for everything, I have to divide it into the 2 rooms. Right now I have my fabric in 1 room and everything else in the other.. I'm finding it a big cramped. so....would you move the cutting table (which is 70 x 35) into the room with the fabric or would you put up with the cramped space and have everything at your fingertips. I have my sewing/embroidery machine, my featherweight, my ironing board (which is one I made 23 x 48) I guess I'm trying to figure out convenience vs space. Thanks as always for your input. Wendy :)
My cutting table is 5' x 3' and is mounted in the corner of my sewing room. Right now my embroidery machine sits on top of a treadle stand. And my Janome is on a dining room table. All my fabric is in two closets, the spare bedroom closet has all my larger cuts of fabric and extra batting. The closet in my sewing room is getting a makeover this month. A dedicated place for my embroidery machine and some new shelves and drawer space. My ironing board is mounted on the wall and I have a standard size one also.
:P No advice....just WOW!! Fabulous areas, enjoy.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
SEW

I have a similar set up for my sewing room in the basement. I chose to set up my sewing machine tabel with a 5 foot table (in L shaped configuration) in the smaller of the 2 rooms because it had the best natural light/lighting. I have a small pressing pad and iron that I use right in the sewing area. I also have a cutting mat on my table that allows me to cut right at my work area. Oh... and my design board is in my small sewing area, mounted on the wall. My cutting table, large ironing board, books/magazines, storage of fabrics,batting are stored in my "spillover" area. This has been a comfortable set up for my sewing needs.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM

I would move the cutting table to the room with the fabric. Don't you just love the length of your table? My brother made mine and it is 30 x 80 and 35 inches high.