Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Almost ready!

Sewing Room Almost ready!

Three years ago, I set up a sewing room in the extra bedroom. Then, my step son moved out and I moved my sewing room to his bedroom. My mom moved into the spare bedroom (after we sold her house). My step son became ill and moved back home. So I moved temporarily to the loft. We began finishing a room in the basement that is going to be all mine a year ago. The room will be muddled and the flooring will be done this month!

What color should the room be so that it will not reflect on my quilts I will be making? I have waited so long for my own space! It just must be perfect!

I prefer white or pale yellow

I'm going to paint my room a pale grey.

I'd go with your favorite color. In my case, that would be a soft violet. However, my sewing room is off white...ya don't always get exactly what you want. Off white works well. If I ever paint it, then it will be a soft violet.

Dina

Blog Entries
    Your sewing room, your favorite color. I love very white walls in my room so the colors of my fabric, quilts, threads, etc. will pop.
    Got fabric?

If I had to start in a blank room- i don't know that I would have much wall space to paint- what with shelves for fabric and books, design wall etc! But maybe white or light gray walls with maybe your favorite color for accent!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I like pale yellow. It is a happy color.

To me it's a space to do something different than the rest of the house. In my living spaces, i want spaces to coordinate and blend as you move from space to space. My sewing room is the space to do something -maybe bolder than i would do in other spaces.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

before I moved to an "L" part of my finished basement which is painted a parchment shade of light cream, my sewing room was in the smallest bedroom that was a creamy soft yellow. That was a lovely color to be surrounded by, but the parchment is neutral and lets my fabric colors pop.

My sewing room is a soft, pale yellow with white accents. My long arm room is a soft, pale green with white accents. I would imagine pale colors wouldn't reflect onto fabrics as much, but I've seen pictures of some really bright sewing rooms so maybe it's not that important. I suggest going with whatever color makes you feel joyful.

Yellow, it makes me feel happy
    Amythyst

Power Poster
    Its your room so paint what you like best.....No one alse matters....

so happy for you....don't forget to post pics....can't wait to see it!!!

Blog Entries
    I painted a few months ago...a sunny yellow. It looks cheerful and I am happy every time I enter.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Pick something that you like, but go with a pale colour. and make sure you have good lighting. YOu don't want to have the walls or the lighting change how colours look in your fabrics

Blog Entries
    My room is a creamy yellow and I love it.

Here's a tool for testing what paint colors might look like in a picture of your own room, or you can look for one from other paint companies. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...l-color-viewer

A friend who consulted a professional decorator said that she was advised that many museums use taupe as a wall color because it sets off other colors nicely. Depending on how much and what kind of light is available in your basement room, you might be happier with a lighter shade, but I think a stark white would not enhance the look of other things in the room. Even builders of tract homes usually use an off white because it's easier on the eyes than white-white.

My sewing room is the shade of beige chosen by the previous owner of our house. Every room of the house was freshly painted, and it's a comfortable enough color. It's about one shade darker than builder's antique white. We painted some other rooms, but I think I like the beige in the sewing room.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.

Mine is apple green and I love it.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Blog Entries
    Unless it has a lot of natural light, personally, I would go with white to brighten it up. JMHO.
    Melinda in Tulsa
    Where the wind comes whipping thru the plains and we really DO have Earthquakes!

Love my Babylock Unity, Symphony and Serenade!

I would go with a soft yellow too because you want it to be light and happy in that room.

Choose a soft color because stronger ones will make the space smaller. I would use an off white or cream. That way te color in the room will relect the lighting and not give your fabric a tint.
    Carol

Banned
    Cream! Happy and easy on the eyes!

I used to have a pale yellow sewing room with white trim and white ceiling. It was such a happy place to be!
    Rilène

My sewing room (in the basement) has almost no natural light but does have good full-spectrum fluorescent overhead and task lights, halogen lights, and incandescent lights. I chose a cream/light beige color for the walls and shelves, and I've been very happy with it. It brightens up the space and does not detract from or compete with any quilts being done there. The flooring is industrial vinyl in a light beige and, surprisingly, it does not get that dirty. The ceiling is white.

Much of my furniture is custom-made oak, which the wall color shows off, and I also have some darker cabinets with machines in them. The quilts hanging in that room or on the design wall or sewing tables are seen for their own colors and the wall color fades into the background, as I think it should.

Yellow would be my second choice. I did use a cheerful yellow with white trim on the walls of the bathroom and laundry room, which is adjacent to the sewing room.
    Last edited by cricket_iscute; 06-10-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Haha, I will no doubt get push back but as a photographer I highly encourage you to use a soft, light grey. Colors such as yellow, green, walls will reflect on your fabrics and projects and give you untrue colors. This might have some surprising outcomes if you pick your fabric choices in that room, sew it together and THEN see it in the light of day. IMHO of course. That is why photographers use/used grey cards when tweaking lighting, etc.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast