Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Debate >

Sewing Room Debate

Sewing Room Debate

Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 AM

Teeny little house that we have, I also could go down in the basement. No thank you! I want to be in the front room where I have my plastic containers, my work station and the window to look out of. If the phone rings, I am there. If I am cooking, I am there. If my husband needs me, I am there. Our basement is not fixed up or anything, it is cooler iin the winter, and cooler in the summer, but hey, I take my stuff outside and work on my quilting on the patio - sewing machine and all!!!!!!

Do the bedroom thing!!!! Edie
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Hey, Oliviasgramy, I wouldn't have time to cook OR sew if I had that sweet baby with me. Mine are all grown up now.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

I think I'd stay upstairs for sewing, etc. with the windows but maybe use part of the basement room for the big cutting projects and ironing etc. I'm in a crummy basement myself and would absolutely love to have the use of an extra bedroom upstairs (which we don't have) with windows. I'd say use both in some way.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Unfortunately we don't get to see her daily, usually about every two weeks. Today I put some more pictures of her up so we can look at her. I told DH that the "stuff" on the mantle will have to do so we can have some place for our babies pictures. In Aug we should have a sweet little boy.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I would stay above ground. I would not want to take a chance on ruining my fabric. It comes too dearly.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM

i'd go to the basemant if it had good lighting to get rid of the musty smell i put small buckets of charcole arround they absorbe the oder and work much better than bakeing soda i would use charcoal for a grill that dose not have starter fluid in it good lucjk and god bless
Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Hi QBeth and everyone else. I have so much stuff thrown in the sewing room, I'm really depressed about it. All it is going to take is getting in there and clearing it out. I have so many neat sewing things in there and I'm having a hard time using because of the clutter. Now I'm accountable, I've exposed this ugly truth and I have to do something about it. Right? I know I really don't know any of you personally, but I've told on myself and now I really have to fix it. Once I get busy on it,I'm sure I will feel so much better and feel less guilty about the mess and can sew and use all my neat things. Maybe I'll be able to find my material and quit losing it because I've put it some where where I know I'll know where it is. I hope some one else understands this. I don't want to be the only one of me out there or I will be depressed, truly. Bethy
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 AM

Hi, and welcome! This is a fun place to meet people and congregate and learn. Mercy, do you learn. And the most important thing you will learn is that there are more of you out there than you can imagine.

I found clear plastic shoe boxes and sticky tags. I have fourteen boxes (not counting the one that has large pieces of one fabric - will get to that later). I put a sticky tag on all four sides of the shoe box marked red, orange and down the line. My colors go in those designated boxes. I can look from any direction and see what color I want. I have a scrap box for the bits and pieces and I also have a box (out on the porch) for extra fabric that I just roll up, tie with a piece of selvage and it just sits there until I start another project and there's a color I need. (My Mom taught me about using the selvage to tie up extra material to keep it in place. She also ties her sashing and borders - keeps everything where you want it and you can iron and reuse the strips of selvage). Usually that box is leftover borders, sashing, backing. I have baskets all over the place - well actually three - we have a small house - three is all over the place!!!!! In those baskets go my work in progress. I have a book (journal type thing) and I keep track of the quilts I make and they go with my other books, so they are in order. I have found that when I start a project, it stays out so I know exactly where everything is. Right now I am in the process of making triangle squares - 1296 of them to be sewn onto 648 4x4's. I have my new work station here and my tools are on the table, fabric, pins and everything. It is a very neat mess!!!!!!!

But when I am done, I will have a clean quilting station, three empty baskets and a new quilt top. Yay!!!!

You don't have a true sense of the word mess, you have a well-organized project in the works. It is extremely important that this mess stays right where it is until it is done!

One thing about quilters - We can justify anything!!!!!!! Edie

PS - I lost my scissors!!!! Has anyone seen it????
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Oh no!!!! I don't know how I found this thread of messages. I have the same problem. Our basement flooded last march. My Honey is waiting on me to make my mind up where I want my sewing rm. before he continues with anymore remodeling. Currently in a 14 x 14 bedrm upstairs. The basement rm has one very small window. I am a huge sunshine person and need my light & need to be able to see outside...sooo he installed 12 can lights in the ceiling to help me make up my mind. The rm is huge and already has bulit in cabinets and a closet w/ a ton of shelves. Sound perfect right? so why can't I make up my mind? I was so hoping reading this conversation would help me finally make up mind. The only draw back is no windows. Help! someone please make up my mind..lol. Did you make your choice and if yes how did you come to the final choice? Really looking forward to your next post.
dee
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM

Space, space and more space.