Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Question >

Sewing Room Question

Sewing Room Question

Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 AM

I love the idea of the drawers with the ironing surface on top. Your sewing room seams to be very neat and functional.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Featherweight, I love your room! And what a clever idea to repurpose the bed drawers! Good thinking!:)

Re:Ken's comment--- I also have a small ironing area next to my machine - but also use the bigger board in a room at the other end of the house. Quick pressing gets done... -quickly!, but I need to move around a little also. Walking to the other board is a good excuse to get moving & lessen the chance of stiffness (which is easy for me to get:) My Dr yelled at me when he heard I had the board close enough to roll over to, so having 2 areas to press keeps us both happy! :thumbup:
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Try to get as many electric outlets as possible - the more you have, the more freedom to rearrange things.

I only have a couple - old basement - so it limits where I can put things.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Lighting, good big cutting surface and a good big ironing surface are my top items. Then a good TV, and my computer come in next. I used a used dresser and made my own ironing surface on top. I store my FQ's in the drawers and have one drawer for my secret pal stash. I then purchased the plastic clear shoe boxes when they were 10/$10 at Krogers and keep all of my projects in process in them. Joann's sells in the scrapbooking section clear 12x12 boxes for paper for $4.99 and they are usually 40% off. I use those to store blocks for past and upcoming swaps.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 AM

If you plan on doing any machine quilting, plan ahead as to where you position your machine so you can have a large surface to hold your quilts. I arranged my machine cabinet so I can put my ironing board to the left of the cabinet and lower it to the same height when necessary to add surface area for machine quilting. It "lives" across the room except when I need to machine quilt. I also have a small table back to back with the machine cabinet which holds my serger and baskets of stuff. This can also be cleared off for more surface area for quilting when needed.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 AM

The most important thing about my sewing room, aka The Eagle's Nest, is the fact that it's mine. It's upstairs. When I am working on a project, I can leave it right where it is and get back to it later. If it were downstairs, I would certainly want a door.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Already bought the wood and waiting to install!! Thanks all for the great ideas!!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 AM

I have a table similar to yours and never thought of opening the drop leaf and putting another machine on it. Great idea thanks for sharing the picture. Love the whole sewing room. Is it always that neat?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 AM

An ironing board attached to a door, wall or cupboard is ideal. Nothing worse than to have to go to another room to iron, or to clutter your sewing room with a wobbly ironing board. A sink is handy for water, coffee etc.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 AM

Two tables set in an L shape; sewing machine on the one under the window for that wonderful natural light! The tables are plastic cheapies (banquet tables, I think) from Sam's Club but are ridiculously sturdy. I keep one for sewing/cutting and the other for "whatever"....