Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Question >

Sewing Room Question

Sewing Room Question

Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have utility cabinets (base and wall) which is nice because the doors help keep things clean BUT I have my fabric in bins througout these cabinets and I have to pull out the bins as I am looking for fabric.

Love the laminate floor - no pins in a carpet.

Love my cabinet with the glass doors that holds the books. Love my tv and hubby's visitor chair.

Not enough space for all of the stations required (well, let's say it's really tight).

I wish I had a design wall.

Wish I had a better way to store my threads in a way that makes sense.

Wish I had a light that didn't glare off the rulers.
I went to Steinmart and got a hang-up jewelry organizer with many small, same-sized clear pockets. Two spools of regular thread fit in each and they are kept nice and neat. Pockets are on both sides - my embroidery and other specialty threads go on the other side. Hangs up anywhere and is easily transportable to other rooms.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
My husband took our under bed drawers from our waterbed and stacked them up. We then made a top for it covered in several layers of cotton batting and I covered it with teflon fabric. I don't think I could live without my storage in the drawers and the nice big ironing surface. I can iron a lot of fabric at one time. Almost all of my sewing, quilting and misc. "stuff" is stored in those 12 drawers.
fabulous room!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM

This is essential. Leaning over a shorter table is killer on the back. If you can get a cutting table higher you will love it!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I like the fact it has a door on it! :D
Love this answer!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Try to get as many electric outlets as possible - the more you have, the more freedom to rearrange things.

I only have a couple - old basement - so it limits where I can put things.
I also have problems with power. I use extension cord to a power board behind the sewing machine and another power board for my box fan. I am careful of how many items I have on at the same time. If I have to I use an extension cord from the kitchen next door for the fan so I wont blow the fuse. What ever you put into your sewing room utilise every inch of space you can to your best advantage and as others say make sure they are a height that will not give you back problems.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by featherweight
My husband took our under bed drawers from our waterbed and stacked them up. We then made a top for it covered in several layers of cotton batting and I covered it with teflon fabric. I don't think I could live without my storage in the drawers and the nice big ironing surface. I can iron a lot of fabric at one time. Almost all of my sewing, quilting and misc. "stuff" is stored in those 12 drawers.
I LOVE it!!!
8-)
Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Bev

A couple of handy ideas ... I use two knife magnet type wall holders for my scissors and anything else made of metal that can fit on them. I got both of the knife magnet holders at thrift stores for under a dollar. They've been a treasure for me. The other thing I have done is nailed a wooden yard stick to the wall near my cutting table and have hammered nails on it to hold all, or most, of my rulers. if you use fairly long nails, you'll be able to hang two or three rulers on each one. Don't forget to measure how much space there should be between the nails. My rulers are in many different widths.
Also, I use a wooden trivet that is square and has spaces between the pieces of wood that go across it to hold my square rulers upright on my cutting table. Yet another thrift store purchase, .50 cents. Have had it for a long time, it'll never wear out or break. Good luck!
8-)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by firecrackerpam
This is essential. Leaning over a shorter table is killer on the back. If you can get a cutting table higher you will love it!
I use bed lifters that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20 (I think). Brought it right up to the right height.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Welcome Betsy, you are very lucky to have a seperate room for your sewing, the only thing I would suggest, try not to cram a lot into it or it will seem smaller.