Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Question >

Sewing Room Question

Sewing Room Question

Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM

my sewing room is also 12x12' I have a longarm machine on one wall -a long table about 8 ' which I would not be able to do without and on the other long wall is my 2 sewing machines and a floor to ceiling bookcase that holds my fabric -what saves me is I store all the the other must haves under my longarm.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I have a 6 foot folding table up against one wall, a rocking chair and chase lounge, a folded up cutting table and a twin size bed for my friend who comes once a month on the weekends. I also have a 4 ft folding table which I set up down stairs to use when I w ant to be around the family but I could not do without that 6ft folding table. I have a skirt around it which hides my plastic containes of fabric, ribbon etc.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
np3
Power Poster

I love a big sewing area so my quilts don't have to be balled up to avoid falling of the sewing surface.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM

I am lucky to have a large sewing area downstairs with lots of good lighting. trying to efficiently store my fabrics, I placed them in 8" deep plastic containers on shelves. they are easily lifted to the cutting table----But, I wish I had kept the fabric on shelves where I can see it. now the wall space is taken by cabinets, but I am trying to think of a way to get my visual fabric back. how to tell DH that I have changed my mind about the cabinets ???? tiled floors a must as they are so easy to sweep clean.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by dorrell ann
my sewing room is also 12x12' I have a longarm machine on one wall -a long table about 8 ' which I would not be able to do without and on the other long wall is my 2 sewing machines and a floor to ceiling bookcase that holds my fabric -what saves me is I store all the the other must haves under my longarm.
WOW - all that in a 12 x 12!! I'm very encouraged! Thinking about a longarm, but I didn'think it would fit. Hmmmm...better start saving up for one. Maybe in a few years!!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM

I must clarify about my longarm - it is a New Joy frame with a quilters choice baby lock machine -it is not as big as the standard longarms but I can still quilt a king size if I want to -
Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM

I also have the underbed storage drawers from an old waterbed stacked and made an ironing board top. I thought I was so original :) Isn't it wonderful storage and a great ironing surface, just the right height.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree, what an excellent idea to use the under-bed drawers like that! Your studio looks so organized and efficient. Love the window beside the machine and serger -- nothing like some natural light.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

My sewing room is only 10' X 9 1/2', but I love it.
It's organized and has lots of storage, ironing board.
Here's a link to the photos...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29311-1.htm
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM

my sewing room is upstairs under the eaves... so the slope on the ceiling can be tough to work around.. it used to feel very spacious, but then dd got a machine, our chairs sit back to back, with the ironing board in the middle.. we have the height set on that so we don't have to get up to iron anything, she just has to wait her turn.. its my iron & my board.. i don't have to wait.

have an old kitchen island for a cutting table.. counter height, we share..

then ddil started quilting & moved in, so now we added another desk at the end of the ironing board, and she waits her turn too!

asked dh to make me the large ironing board cover for christmas... but due to outlet issues, (house is circa 1738) there will still only be one iron...

windows face west, but i have a lovely old tree to help keep the heat down in the summer, and a ceiling fan helps too.

i took home a couple of those cubical partitions, dh made a frame & i put the batting up on it, so i have a design wall, course when you come up the stairs, you see the back of it, which is not all that attractive, but who cares.. front side looks lovely with last years shop hop quilt still up on it... (just can't quite figure what it wants to do..)

dd's room is up there, we close that door alot! and the other tiny room is set up for the grandkids to play in while we sew...

i love my room and having my girls and grandbabies up there is great too.